How old is the computer?

If it's fast enough and has enough RAM... I'd go with XP. If not, 2000 would be my second choice. I'd stay far away from 9x if at all possible... MS and others are discontinuing support for it. (For example... Norton AV 2006 will only run on 2K or XP... same with Office 2003).

If you absolutely MUST run Win 9x... then go with 98SE. I absolutely despise ME.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
How old is the computer?

If it's fast enough and has enough RAM... I'd go with XP. If not, 2000 would be my second choice. I'd stay far away from 9x if at all possible... MS and others are discontinuing support for it. (For example... Norton AV 2006 will only run on 2K or XP... same with Office 2003).

If you absolutely MUST run Win 9x... then go with 98SE. I absolutely despise ME.

He's right about using NT5-based 2000/xp over 9x. However, when it comes to 98SE/ME, it's more about personal opinion/what works best for you than anything else. ME has more things standard, but with a high-speed internet connection 98SE can be updated to most of ME's specs. I prefer ME.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
How old is the computer?

He's right about using NT5-based 2000/xp over 9x. However, when it comes to 98SE/ME, it's more about personal opinion/what works best for you than anything else. ME has more things standard, but with a high-speed internet connection 98SE can be updated to most of ME's specs. I prefer ME.
I agree, i actually prefer ME also, if configured properly, and regularily maintained, i don't mind it at all. Lack of driver support is the one thing that really irks me. When i first install ME, i go through and delete a ton of JUNK that MS thinks we want/need. Takes a while, but pays off in the end.