Question 980 512GB M2 for OS and 970 EVO Plus 2TB for Games?

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Is it dumb to have a Samsung 980 512GB M2 for an OS install of W11 with a 970 EVO Plus 2TB M2 for Games and media storage? That was my plan, but should I just use the 970 EVO 2TB M2 for OS, Games, and everything?

I can use the 980 in a different computer. I just thought having a smaller 512GB M2 for the OS was cleaner, but the 970 EVO Plus just seems way better than the 980. Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
You're good to go. Personally, I'd have any small capacity NVMe drive house the OS, app's and other launchers while another larger, faster NVMe drive holds your game library. It would also be in context to the cost of the drives in your region. I wouldn't go and buy a 250GB NVMe drive if the cost of a 500GB variant along the same product lineup was minimal in terms of pricing. So I get more space for the money when you factor that in.

Make and model of your motherboard, the processor you've paired with said motherboard?

Is it dumb to have a Samsung 980 512GB M2 for an OS install of W11 with a 970 EVO Plus 2TB M2 for Games and media storage? That was my plan, but should I just use the 970 EVO 2TB M2 for OS, Games, and everything?

I can use the 980 in a different computer. I just thought having a smaller 512GB M2 for the OS was cleaner, but the 970 EVO Plus just seems way better than the 980. Thanks.
Yes, if you're going to be conscientious and back up your OS drive when its working well so that you can restore it when problems develop. It will also be easier with the OS separate if things get so bad that you need to completely reinstall Windows.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
980 is dramless. I would not use it at all.
I know. That was my concern. But how real is that concern? It is for my son's computer only really for playing games.
I7-9700k and GTX 1070.

It has been in a box for a few years, but I didn't end up putting it in the laptop it was intended for. And I did not know about the dram thing back then. Last summer I picked up the 2 TB M2 to complement the build, and now I am reconsidering.

Last edited:
I know. That was my concern. But how real is that concern? It is for my son's computer only really for playing games.
I7-9700k and GTX 1070.

It has been in a box for a few years, but I didn't end up putting it in the laptop it was intended for. And I did know about the dram thing back then. Picked up the 2 TB M2 to complement the build, and now I am reconsidering.
If you already have the disk use it, don't worry about it.

I7-9700k and GTX 1070.

It has been in a box for a few years, but I didn't end up putting it in the laptop it was intended for. And I did not know about the dram thing back then. Last summer I picked up the 2 TB M2 to complement the build, and now I am reconsidering.
Just run the Samsung Magician software to make sure that the firmware is the latest update.