9800 GT vs Radeon 5670

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

reparadocs

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
SO TigerDirect has a 9800 GT for 50$ (512 mb, DDR3, 128 bit) and I am wondering whether I should buy that or if I should pay around 20 bucks more for a 5670 on newegg (128 bit, 512 mb DDR5) or if I should pay 30 bucks more for a 5670 on newegg that is 1 GB DDR5 128 bit....
Is the DX11 support worth it?
If you say I should buy the 5670 please comment on whether I should buy that 512 mb DDR5 (70$), 1gb DDR3 (70$) or 1gb ddr5 (80$ AR)

reparadocs

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I am not really looking for a high end graphics card though. I really just want to be able to play Starcraft 2, Portal 2, future and past valve games, and maybe a few games that come out in the future... I just want to make sure this card won't die on me

with 525 core clock speed, it can still play most games that aren't DX11 pretty well, right?

Yah in fact it sohuld be fine for your resoultion.SC2 and Portal 2 don't even use DX11.I'm just saying to get something new because your buying a card thats already 2 years old and you want it to last for a couple more.Just don't see the point in investing money in old tech.

you better buy a very high quality card if you expect it to last any ware near that long. Most upgrade every few months to two years before the card fails or at that moment when the card is barely functioning. Cards these days are no longer idiot proof like they used to be.

reparadocs

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Eh...Don't have that much money, and Ill get a better card in two-three years...I was hoping for a longer lifespan cause in my old computer there was a Radeon X500/X1050 and it lasted for 8 years...granted, it couldn't play many games, but it lasted for a really long time. I can put up with the graphics card not being able to play much as I usually use my xbox to do gaming...but I want to make sure since its from a shady manufacturer that it won't break down in like 6 months or something...

EVGA isn't shady unlike Palit or Sparkle. EVGA, Asus, and MSI are the best you are going to get with Nvidia. Overall quality has sunk with most cards these days and use much more power so that complicates things. So yes they designed their cards so that they do fail and not last as long as they used to. You won't find very many that will last 40,000+ or more in a office or educational setting knowing how power and cooling factor into things.

reparadocs

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
They make the cards last for a shorter time :O
So how long approximately will my card last?
Also, can you tell me how much you would reccommend me to overslock it in memory and the core clock?
As to the manufacturer, I was referring to Smith Systems, not EVGa. Smith Systems are the ones who are providing the 3 month warranty. I have not heard of them and dont know whether the card is manufactured well, etc.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

5830 is a bad card, if i were you i would pick either gtx 460se or 6790/6850, but since we don't know how much you willing to spend i'd say neither are good choice for gaming these day. if you still with dx9/10 9800gt/5830 will pretty much able to handle in acceptable rate, except 5830 runs hotter than 9800gt which i won't pick it if i were you. but if you insist to have dx11 you'll definitely be handicap by the poor performance of 5830.

which means, if you just want to play some casual game, go get 9800gt, but if you want dx11 & some hardcore graphic demand you'd better off getting 6850 or gtx 460se. trust me it is pain in the ass play any dx11 title with card like 5670/5770....

GTX 460 SE? Now that's a useless card. The GTX 460 768mb is better and usually cheaper. The HD5830 is a fine card for $100. It's big and less power efficient than it should be but it only uses slightly more than the SE you are recommending and it's actually slightly faster as well while costing about $50 less.

Don't bother with the gtx 460 and some models of the gtx 560 ti if it does not have any power vrm and or vram cooling. Those that are lacking will likely sustain a higher rate of failure and have a overall life span less than 10,000 hours. You are better off going ati on this one and modding the card like a cheap 5770. 84w at load on stock volts and clocks while topping out at the same wattage as a 65nm 9800gt of 105w give or take to leave a small margin of error. They are made to perform and to quickly sell but not last. Two or three years tops and then it is usually artifcats ect. Modern cards are not like a 6800gt that lasts for 6 or 7 years then die or a tnt2 that lasts for over a decade or that old pci trident that keeps up for what 15 years that only draws as much power as a 486.

5770 or a lower wattage card with a bulky cooler. Avoid single slot unless for the low end that are also very low power.

You could always go with the 6670.It is the new version of the 5670.It's a slight improvement but it will likely last the longest.

EDIT: Nevremind I just saw they are priced $20 more than the old 5670.Not a good deal then.The 6770 is however priced at $100 making it a good deal.

reparadocs

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I still have to decide whether or not to return the 9800 GT, so can you please answer these questions:
So how long approximately will my card last?
Also, can you tell me how much you would reccommend me to overslock it in memory and the core clock?
As to the manufacturer, I was referring to Smith Systems, not EVGa. Smith Systems are the ones who are providing the 3 month warranty. I have not heard of them and dont know whether the card is manufactured well, etc.

I'm not sure how well that 9800GT will O.C. since it doesn't have the power connector, i'm assuming it's more of an energy saving design and those aren't really meant to be O.C.'d.And I have never heard of Smith Systems before must be a re-seller.I would return that once you get it.
Can't really give you a good answer but i'm sure jyjjy can help you more than I on that.

The card he is getting actually does have a power connector so that shouldn't limit an OC.
EVGA is a good brand but that warranty is just odd. Usually you'll ge secondary warranties like that on refurbished stuff but I'm not seeing anything like that mentioned on the page. No one can tell you for sure how long a card will last but apart from some design flaw like nforce was mentioning usually if they are going to fail they'll do it fairly early on or right off the bat in my experience. In short if you are willing to take your chances then keep the card. It is only $50. If not ship it back and go for the card with the lifetime warranty and wait a few months to get the rebate back. It's up to you.

TRENDING THREADS