980ti broke overnight

JarlBalgruuf

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
Last night i installed battlefront and played for a while with a friend, I went to sleep and when i woke up and got back on, My zotac amp extreme 980ti is showing 1013 Mhz and 1% gpu usage on afterburner. It was OCed to 1500 Mhz, and for some reason it isnt using any more than 4-5 % of GPU usage on any games and its stuck at 1013 Mhz. Even windows is acting weird and lagging upon boot, (I have an 850 EVO SSD). Any ideas what mightve caused this? I reinstalled the drivers and all.

Solution
Problem resolved, Wasnt the GPU in the first place, overnight my 6700ks temp sensor went bad and caused the mobo to think it was overheating and had a constant throttle on it to make it run at 800 Mhz constant. I downloaded throttlestop and the PROCHOT setting brought me back to normal. Runs fine now as it did. GPU usage is back up and all. The 6700k being throttled caused the GPU usage to stay minimum. Thanks for the responses.

JarlBalgruuf

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
Its really weird because its as if its not using the GPU at all. Its only showing 1-3% Usage on any games when usually its 99-100% as it should be. Windows recognizes it under device manager and ive reinstalled the drivers with geforce experience as a clean installation.

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017

If at all possible, try to reseat the GPU. Once done, test it, and if it's still not working, try to manually set the clock. Install an older driver, and see if that helps.

JarlBalgruuf

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
Just reseatted it and all. Problem persists. From what i can tell from other forums low GPU usage can be from CPU bottleneck, i have a i7 6700k but its actually acting funny now. All of my programs keep freezing and going non responsive. Even chrome and windows explorer. What could cause this? There is no OC on the CPU

that 980 ti and i7 aint no bottle neck

heres what I would do - ask a buddy wioth a good solid gaming rig to let you test your card in his or see if he got a card you can use in yours to see

2ed what if your PSU is failing to supply full clean stable power to the system ? you get them like issues .

thing is you at need of some knind of process of elimination . if you can test your card in another capable rig to see if it works correct or fails as well if it fails then the card if it works as expected then you got to maybe look at the rest of your system like the PSU next

what you describe kinda sounds like the card is in / stuck in a low power state or not getting adequate power from the board or psu .

with what you just added it maybe the psu is failing a bit more and now affecting the rest of the system parts needing power if not the psu could be your motherboards power regulation may be f going ??

thing is with out spare parts like a extra gpu or psu to test them thing out all you can do is guess all day and scratch your head with the hope you stumble on to it lucky ..

I don't know if using something like this hwinfo64 would offer any help looking at something

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

[examples]

http://imgur.com/7TUl4XA

http://imgur.com/AvRnRgU

may see something from yours that's way out of normal parameters ?

JarlBalgruuf

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
i reseated the CPU and GPU and now when i launch games, the usage is as it should be, but the core clock is still staying around 1013 Mhz when it should be at 1500 Mhz . And every game i run lags horribly now. Nothing has changed hardware wise. I literally went to sleep and woke up to it acting this way. Im thinking of doing a clean installation of windows 10 and clean BIOs to see if it fixes it

if you got a dvd and a dvd burner you could do a live dvd of Linux to see before you wipe out your windows install ?

You can download the Linux Mint operating system for free. It comes as an ISO file
which you need to burn to a blank DVD. The liveDVD is then bootable and provides a
fully-functional operating system which you can try without affecting your PC. In
layman's terms, when you put Linux Mint on a DVD and place it into your computer, you
can try it out while leaving your current system intact.

https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/Cinnamon/english_18.0.pdf

I all ways keep a fresh live dvd handy to test with

to be honest that ampextreme just may of burned its self or something out when you last played it last

look

Board power limit
Target: 390.0 W
Limit: 435.0 W
Adj. Range: -74%, +12%
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/173848/zotac-gtx980ti-6144-150602

think a pci-e slot power is rated for 75w a 8-pin from the psu is rated for 150w [you got 2 ] that's 375w
now your cards target is far more then most all 980ti 's limit [my 980ti limit is 275w]

only a evga king pin is greater at 510w unless you got supre solid build quality 850w psu and a motherboard with great vrm and voltage regulation ???????

[just to see evga 980ti classy]

Board power limit
Target: 300.0 W
Limit: 345.0 W
Adj. Range: -50%, +15%

well in that 350w ATX spec.

so you may of just stressed her out for the last time trying to hold to them power limits that's well above atx spec's - and something like you psu just had enough of that crap

JarlBalgruuf

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
Seems like a CPU problem. CPU is locked at .80 ghz and wont move ran intel diagnostic tool and stress test and it passed. But everything shows it stuck at .80 ghz even under load.

lakimens

Honorable
What is the model of the PSU?
Since everything is messed up, it's either some next-gen computer virus(highly doubt it), or hardware related.
Maybe there was a power surge sometime through the night and it messed with your parts..
Also, try a Linux USB, or a new installation of Windows to see if that fixes it.

JarlBalgruuf

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
Update: i downloaded throttlestop and unchecked the BD PROCHOT setting (throttles CPU according to temp) and im back up to 4.5 Ghz and its running fine again. Seems like it was maybe a faulty temp sensor. Temps havent been over 60C but somehow it throttled to minimum speed (.80 Ghz)

JarlBalgruuf

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
Problem resolved, Wasnt the GPU in the first place, overnight my 6700ks temp sensor went bad and caused the mobo to think it was overheating and had a constant throttle on it to make it run at 800 Mhz constant. I downloaded throttlestop and the PROCHOT setting brought me back to normal. Runs fine now as it did. GPU usage is back up and all. The 6700k being throttled caused the GPU usage to stay minimum. Thanks for the responses.

Solution