[SOLVED] 980ti causing power surge

Nov 17, 2018
Hi

I have a palit 980ti super jetstream which has been working perfectly for the last 3+ years. All of a sudden it has started causing the pc to crash and reboot with a power surge protection warning when system reboots. It will work with no problems in windows but as soon as I try and play a demanding game this happens.

I have tried the card in another pc and does the same thing. I have stripped the card down, cleaned up and re applied thermal compound but still the same.

Card is obviously out of warranty now so wondering if anyone has come across this problem and if they managed to fix it.

Solution
Was that other system running a different, and at least as powerful PSU? Power surge issues, especially with GPUs usually point to the PSU getting stressed enough by power draw to drop the voltages on the other rails and that will quickly kill off the PC.

Please avoid using it apart from to verify this. If it's not that, then it has a short and powering your computer with it installed is quite dangerous as that can take out other components and cause corruption before it ever shuts down the system.

genz

Distinguished
Was that other system running a different, and at least as powerful PSU? Power surge issues, especially with GPUs usually point to the PSU getting stressed enough by power draw to drop the voltages on the other rails and that will quickly kill off the PC.

Please avoid using it apart from to verify this. If it's not that, then it has a short and powering your computer with it installed is quite dangerous as that can take out other components and cause corruption before it ever shuts down the system.

Solution