980ti low clock speed in 3Dmark

Thogapotomus

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Sorry if this is covered somewhere, but I've searched and couldn't find an exact answer for my problem.

When I first bench marked my system a month ago, after the initial build, 3Dmark accurately displayed my core clock speed as 1,140MHz. However, when I ran the test today, it's showing that my clock speed is 600MHz, and my score dropped. MSI afterburner is displaying my clock speed at 1,139MHz, even during the tests, though.

Comparison Picture

The only thing that has changed, is that I've overclocked the CPU and brought my RAM speed up to 2400MHz (what it's rated for). You can see the CPU difference in the comparison. I just can't figure out why my card seems to be under performing now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
I think 3D mark might've misread the clock speed. No way that the card can get 15373 while running at half clock. I am unfamiliar with recent iterations of MSI Afterburner, though it may have something like Precision X's Kboost, which makes the card run at full speed all the time when asked for power. This could help solve your problem. The score difference is only of about 1.3%, which is hardly a drop at all. Try and manually underclock your card to 600Mhz, you'll see what I mean.

SkyMembrane

Honorable
Dec 23, 2015
I think 3D mark might've misread the clock speed. No way that the card can get 15373 while running at half clock. I am unfamiliar with recent iterations of MSI Afterburner, though it may have something like Precision X's Kboost, which makes the card run at full speed all the time when asked for power. This could help solve your problem. The score difference is only of about 1.3%, which is hardly a drop at all. Try and manually underclock your card to 600Mhz, you'll see what I mean.

Solution

Thogapotomus

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Well the score difference is mitigated a bit by the fact that my CPU is performing better. I'm still down ~5% on GPU performance, which admittedly isn't significant, but disheartening.

I was more concerned with the different readings of clock speeds, when I haven't changed anything on the GPU. I ran the test 3 times after restarting each time, and I got the same results. So, should I just not worry about it?

Thanks for the reply! Certainly makes me feel better.

Edit: I mainly just want to make sure there isn't an underlying issue that could cause problems later on.

SkyMembrane

Honorable
Dec 23, 2015
Sure there might be something changed in your GPU performance, but I don't know if 3D mark alone is a good enough source to compare. A difference like that could very well be attributed to other programs running in the background that weren't running during the first test.

Try and benchmark the card on Furmark or Unigine valley/Heaven. And check your clock rates on those.