[SOLVED] 980ti stopped working after windows crash

Dec 25, 2019
I was playing apex legends and right before game started my pc crashed and rebooted. Got back to windows and started apex again. At the same exact moment when game was about to start, windows crashed again. This time i got a message "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS anti surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit"

After that my 980 ti stopped working. It's not detected in bios at all. Tried different pci-e slots, reconnected power cables, flashed bios, but it is dead as a brick, fans not running etc..

My pc is working fine with integrated graphics at the moment. I was already going to store and buy new GPU but started worrying that what if there is something wrong with my PSU and it toasts every GPU that I feed to it? Or is this just a GPU issue?

My system specs:

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 (80Plus Gold)
Palit GeForce GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6 GB
Intel Core i7-6700K (Tray, LGA 1151 Skylake)
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 2 x 8 GB (DDR4, 2666 MHz, CL15)

Any ideas ? Thank you! :)

Solution
your EVGA PSU is pretty good and should've come with a tester -start there.

try the card in the other PCI-E connections on the PSU - maybe 1 port is faulty

RMA the GPU and see what support says.

I was playing apex legends and right before game started my pc crashed and rebooted. Got back to windows and started apex again. At the same exact moment when game was about to start, windows crashed again. This time i got a message "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS anti surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit"

After that my 980 ti stopped working. It's not detected in bios at all. Tried different pci-e slots, reconnected power cables, flashed bios, but it is dead as a brick...
your EVGA PSU is pretty good and should've come with a tester -start there.

try the card in the other PCI-E connections on the PSU - maybe 1 port is faulty

RMA the GPU and see what support says.

After that my 980 ti stopped working. It's not detected in bios at all. Tried different pci-e slots, reconnected power cables, flashed bios, but it is dead as a brick, fans not running etc..

My pc is working fine with integrated graphics at the moment. I was already going to store and buy new GPU but started worrying that what if there is something wrong with my PSU and it toasts every GPU that I feed to it? Or is this just a GPU issue?

My system specs:

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 (80Plus Gold)
Palit GeForce GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6 GB
Intel Core i7-6700K (Tray, LGA 1151 Skylake)
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 2 x 8 GB (DDR4, 2666 MHz, CL15)

Any ideas ? Thank you! :)

Solution