98se vs ME

lemonlemon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
I've also heard of people saying that SE is better than ME, but I still don't understand why. Isn't ME supposed to be better for networking and apps/games then SE? I'd just like to know for compatibilty reasons, which is why 2000 and xp are out of the case. Can someone explain why either one is better? Also, please no bickering about other os' like in the other post...just want some kind of answer :)

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
*sigh*

"Isn't ME supposed to be better for networking and apps/games then SE?"

Windows Millenium is just a shell on Ms-Dos 7.2. Windows 98 Second Edition is a shell on Ms-Dos 7.1. Windows 95 is just a shell on Ms-Dos 7.0.

See a pattern?

So, with that said, the drivers that come with Winme are updated from Win98se. They also threw in a few 'extra' bugs/features like system restore, File Protection, PC Health, and a non-customizable installation.

Now, Windows 2000 is just Windows NT 5.0. Check the registry; seems the Compsci geeks do their thing, and the Marketing geeks do their thing. I don't think there's a 'little red phone' between the two departments/divisions. Which, if I was a marketing geek, I wouldn't want to share my Margarita/Fuzzy Navel with the Compsci geeks either...

Windows XP is just Windows NT 5.1. Check the registry. You *WILL* see multiple registry entires concerning NT 5.1.

So, the final result: Winme has the latest drivers. If it's not stable on your machine (and Win98se was), then it's a driver issue.

WinXP (NT 5.1) has the latest drivers. If it's not stable on your machine (and NT 5.0 was), then it's a driver issue.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
ME is what happens when you combine oil and water, they don't mix. But if i had no other choice and I was forced to pick because I for some reason didn't have my 2k or XP disk I would pick 98.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
I'd say 98se is an overall more stable OS than ME for allota reasons. If you want details, check the other post. Theres people who love linux, theres people who love 98, theres people who love 2k, theres people who love xp. BUT no one is thrilled with ME> see the trend?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I'd just like to know for compatibilty reasons, which is why 2000 and xp are out of the case
What is it that you cant run on 2k? initially it had problems with games, but now I dont think theres a great deal that wont run on 2k. ME sux, it always has, as for better networking, thats a definate no. xp has some compatibility problems with (normally) older software/hardware and also has some networking problems. I'd suggest 2k (unless of course you DO have something that you need to use that isnt compatible), in which case I'd say 98.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

RexB

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2002
I'm running WIN98SE on a CeleronA 433mhz and WinMe on a T-Bird 1.4ghz. After taking lottsa' time beating Me into submission [disable SysRestore cuz of high overhead & I went RAID1 for backups, reset VM, Swap, 'puter use, regedit junkout, adnaseum] it runs as well as my 98SE box and then NetGear'd the two via NICs. Am happy with both machines now, tho nostagically still attached to 98Se, but will get XP Pro on both when SP1 is issued.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I couldn't get ME to run on my machine. It was impossible to find drivers to get all my devices working. I had to give up on it. I'll give ME the benefit of the doubt and say that it might work today if I installed it and found new drivers, but why would I bother? WinME like 98se is old and not worth my time. With WinXP I only have to install the new detonator drivers since everything else works flawlessly from the get go.

IF you have to choose, I would recommend 98se, but maybe there the drivers work for WinME now...2 years after it's release. Nonetheless, I've seen some of the craziest and most disturbing errors with WinME on friend's systems. I personally think it's way beyond a driver problem. The OS is a virus in my opinion.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yeah, we'd be someplace better. Maybe outside in the sun, but that's besides the point.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"We wouldn't be where we are today in PC technology without Microsoft."

*sigh*
You're right. My bad.

Along those same lines:

1) We wouldn't be where we are today in anti-terrorist technology if Hitler had not ordered the death of 6 million Jews/12+ million Russians.

2) We wouldn't be where we are today in Space Habitation if 3 astronauts had not burned up on the pad inside Apollo 1.

3) We wouldn't be where we are today in Nuclear Research if 100,000+ Japanese hadn't got whacked by a couple of 20 kiloton warheads in Hiroshima and Nakasagi.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
1) We wouldn't be where we are today in anti-terrorist technology if Hitler had not ordered the death of 6 million Jews/12+ million Russians.

2) We wouldn't be where we are today in Space Habitation if 3 astronauts had not burned up on the pad inside Apollo 1.

3) We wouldn't be where we are today in Nuclear Research if 100,000+ Japanese hadn't got whacked by a couple of 20 kiloton warheads in Hiroshima and Nakasagi.
Sadly, that's true for the most part.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I couldn't get ME to run on my machine. It was impossible to find drivers to get all my devices working. I had to give up on it.
roflMAO.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
Everyone complains and bitches about ME.. but I had no more problem with it than I did with 98. I ran ME for about 9 months, through plenty of abuse, without any major complications. Then I finally built a machine fast enough to run Win2K without barfing on itself and never looked back. I really can't stand any of the 9x series now. (or NT 4 for that matter, but that's another story)

I remember talking to a tech about Windows ME once...

She affectionately referred to it as Windows Mistake Edition.

:smile:

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

WolfenGamer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002
i had a million and one problems with windows me until i found out that the people who built my pc had it underpowered with a 250 watt power supply.
i had a:
msi k7tpro mobo (horrible) imo
a voodoo 5 5500 128 mb apg (still have it, love it)
3 dims 2 128 pc 133 sdram, 1 256 pc 133 sdram
a soundblaster live! card
a modem
an extra fan
an aopen 1640pro dvd drive (love it)and a
creative 8X4X32 cd rwr
and it kept crashing for a year straight, they never told me why and kept jacking me for repairs, so i said screwz it and started to lear to do it myself.
now i know that they were ripping me off for repairs,, because i eventually fried my athlon 900 tbird, and the msi board, replaced it with a ecs k7s5a, and a aopen 300 watt power supply and WINDOWS ME RUNS LIKE A DREAM NOW!
if you have a problem running windoes me, i'd say it's from a hardware/software related conflicts and not windows me.
this is what ive found so far. :)

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
I've been running ME since it came out. The only problems I've had were due to power outages/spikes. Other than that, haven't had any problems. In fact, because ME was designed to network better the prior OS's, I went and networked my mom's and my computer together so we don't have to email files to each other to share and also set my printer up as a networked printer. Now she can print directly to it from her computer. That just means that if I'm here, I'll be running the pages over to her desk (A mother's perogitive).

So, on that note, I have to raise my hand and say I'm a devout ME user!

GearJammer

qlm tera'ngan!
(Translated from Klingon: Attention Earther!)