99-100% cpu usage in windows 10

Feb 4, 2019
Setup:
R5 1500x 3,5GHz
GTX 1060 3GB
8gigs of ram
500W
B350 Pro VDH MotherBoard

So basically I ran into this kind of thing a while back when I started a game and had lags.. I opened my task manager and saw 100% cpu usage so I started googling and found a lot of tutorials which contained superfetch and I dont seem to have it in my services.. So I continued googling.. Did a lot of tutorials but nothing helped.. I reinstalled windows and did reset BIOS also.. Still nothing im getting hopeless and dont know what to do.. I would love some help

Feb 4, 2019

Feb 4, 2019

My bad.. Umm its not in game I meant after the game.. Its running at 100 while im not doing anything

So your CPU is 100% load when it should be idling? You may have some backround task or something going on. Monitor your disk usage, and see if something is writing to it all the time. Depending on what it is it could use up 100% usage, but it shouldn't happen. Could be a virus/malware, could be disk related.

Feb 4, 2019

Yes that's about right.. Could be some background application but as I said earlier I reinstalled windows and checked for viruses/malwares and it didnt find anything aaaand only thing that is writing to my disk and has the high cpu usage is "System", unfortunatelly its a cycle with 4-5 programs that switch all the time.. Those programs are: The program I am currently using such as chrome then its system, desktop window manager, task manager and system interrupts
PS: Even tho in "Details" section it shows that the "System Idle Process" Is taking all my cpu usage is that right or is there a problem??

Feb 4, 2019

Check out the reply for Keith.. Thanks for helping!

hmmm that IS odd. The 'system' process you referred to should be at 0% usage while system is idling. Something is a miss.

Like md1963 suggested, sort the processes by usage. I would try ending the processes one by one, and see if that stops CPU usage from being so high.

Use HWMon/info to monitor the CPU/Ram usage, voltage etc. I prefer it to an OSD like MSi afterburner. It gives more info.

Run HWMon, and you can watch your CPU usage, with max/min and current usage. You will see a lot more info. Post a screenshot of it at idle, then at a gaming load (alt-tab out of the game and take a screenshot of HWMon)

Feb 4, 2019

Well let me send you a screenshot of my task manager and show you what I mean.. When I shut down all the programs besides system ones it just switches to another system programs that I cant shut down.. Its not any malware of virus (As far as my Malwarebytes and several scans say..) And when I start a game it just adds to those processes and takes most of the cpu but I feel the performance lack in gameplay..
https://imgur.com/a/vjt5XEj

Let's first check Windows updates to make sure all are done, with none currently being applied or downloaded; we don't want to assume a busy system is always a bad thing.... (although 100% usage even in that scenario would be odd)

Does HWMonitor (or task mgr/performance) show constant high clock speeds, or are we perhaps stuck near 800-1000 MHz or so?

Feb 4, 2019

We are running on high/boost settings cause the processor thinks its overloaded so my base clock is 3,5 and now im running at 3,57..

I'd try runnning Balanced power plan within WIndows, turn off all WIndows/AMD OverDrive (or whatever trickery they call it these days) related Boost settings, and see if we can get some normal idle/turbo behavior, both in clock speeds (800 Mhz or so when idle, 3.5 GHz under load)...

Are all WIndows updates done?

Feb 5, 2019
I have the same problem. New laptop from January sale. Aspire ES .. Should be an ok machine but it can't even play a youtube video with more than 1 FPS
Tried closing all windows and running task manager. It swings from 98 to 100% CPU usage.
I tried to shut down the top CPU using tasks but it says shutting down critical system services will disable the system, make it unresponsive and I will lose all unsaved work.
Again it is almost brand new. Only did the windows updates, Setup the included norton security antivirus settings, installed Firefox web browser and later Chrome web browser because I thought that it might have been a firefox problem

Feb 4, 2019

Did everything.. Still doesnt work.. Im getting slightly hopeless at this point.. And yes Win updates are fully dowloaded and loaded to this date!

Feb 5, 2019

wonder if we can quote stuff from other thread.

Please run an instance of HWMon. Its free, very simple and easy to run. It will show a lot of information that you can't give, and we can't get from task manager. It may really help diagnose the issue.

Also, at this point, considering you've tried a few things, it may be worth doing a bios update, and/or CMOS clear. Just in case it's some anomaly causing your CPU to behave strangely. I suspect it's a Windows/software issue, so an OS re-install will be a last option, but another step.

Like I said, run HWMon. open it on screen, and walk away from your PC for 20 minutes. Then come back and take a screenshot of it and post it here. THen run a game and take another screenshot. This will give us a complete picture of whats happening with lots of your hardware. It might enable us to rule out a hardware issue.

Also just to be clear, are you OC'ing the CPU by chance. You've said it's at stock, 3.5. Have you tried to OC the CPU and bios changes or used Ryzen master or anything like that?

You can quote if you wish, but without understanding the context of the answer, it's hard to tell the purpose. Maybe quote the link to the actual thread, then we can review it and see if it's relevant.

Feb 4, 2019

Okay.. Will do! And yes I did overclock it but I put it back to default when I did the bios reset.. And updated it.. And yes its doing some strange stuff.. Now its on default but ryzen master says its at 3,6 and task manager says that its on 3,57 so IDK. And I OC'ed in Bios and tried in Command center but mostly in BIOS

Task manager always show funny clocks for CPU's. The same with my 1600x. It always shows it being under it's actual clocks. Use CPU-z, Coretemp, HWmon/info to monitor your CPU speed. They are more accurate.

Try the bios update, not reset.

Feb 4, 2019

I did the update after the reset.

Feb 4, 2019

I guess you were right.. HWMonitor show normal percentage of processor.. So it might be the windows problem.. Should I reinstall?

Yes, that's often the case.

An OS install is always a last resort, but more often than not after troubleshooting is what fixes a lot of issues. Sometimes it's just a bad windows registry, boot drive, bogey update, or even just a software/hardware compatibility issue.

I'd suggest trying the install, just to get everything right, and rule out one more thing. If it works, that's great. However, as long as HWMon shows you the correct usage/voltage/temps etc, that's enough for now. Although I use task manager for basic stuff, it's the third party software that is accurate. And although it pains me to see TM showing the clockspeed inaccurately, it's just how it is. I'd say you or I aren't the only ones to experience it :)

Good luck. Let me know the final outcome. You can PM me if you wish for further advise. Thread is getting pretty long now :)

I don't mean any disrespect, but, your assertions whilst your opinion, don't really help much with the OP's issue. If you read the posts you may figure that out.

As for those assertions you made, some are not relevant, and others are completely unhelpful and off topic.

On Windows 10. I assume you mean the certain reporting functionality of WIn10 and what info is retained by MS. There are simple ways around that, if one really wanted to avoid it. It's just a batch file that disables this functionality. Apart from that WIn10 is a superb OS, highly stable and secure (right now)

Also, you don't need to curse to make your point. Good English will do just fine. Watch the language.