99% Motherboards using Asmedia’s ASM1142 and not Intel's Alpine Ridge?

opacity00

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
Any reason why virtually all motherboards - even some in excess of $400 - are coming with the inferior Asmedia’s ASM1142 chip to enable USB 3.1 and not using Intel's superior Alpine Ridge instead?

Most modern motherboards today have two USB 3.1 ports (mostly in a Type A+C combo or Type A + A ports) but only one port can go at the full 10Gb/s if both are used simultaneously with the Asmedia chip, but with Intel JHL6000 series controller (aka Alpine Ridge) chip both ports can do 10 Gb/s per USB 3.1. Not to mention it supports Thunderbolt 3 as well.

And yet very little boards have it, even on the MSI Godlike board and Asus X99 Deluxe II that are over $400. Any reason? Is the Intel chip found not to be good or faulty?

I'm looking to pickup the Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI which uses it and is certified Thunderbolt 3 - seems like a great deal for just 250 or less at times, am I making a mistake?

Solution
The Northbridge chip has limited expandability, to give the kind of bandwidth to the Intel chip means not having several more desired features such as M.2 ports.

In your boards case, they forego the usual chipset supported pcie x4 slot and give you the following caveot
*Because of the limited I/O resources of the PC architecture, the
number of Thunderbolt™ devices that can be used is dependent on the number of the PCI Express devices
being installed. You can adjust the Thunderbolt™ settings under Peripherals\Intel(R) Thunderbolt in BIOS

Of course, looking thru the bios section of the manual, this isn't even discussed.

popatim

Titan
The Northbridge chip has limited expandability, to give the kind of bandwidth to the Intel chip means not having several more desired features such as M.2 ports.

In your boards case, they forego the usual chipset supported pcie x4 slot and give you the following caveot
*Because of the limited I/O resources of the PC architecture, the
number of Thunderbolt™ devices that can be used is dependent on the number of the PCI Express devices
being installed. You can adjust the Thunderbolt™ settings under Peripherals\Intel(R) Thunderbolt in BIOS

Of course, looking thru the bios section of the manual, this isn't even discussed.

Solution

opacity00

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
So the trade off is true USB 3.1 speeds to both ports when used at the same time and Thunderbolt vs having a x4 pcie slot for future expandability. I see.

So I understand, to have multiple devices on a thunderbolt port, I may need to assign more pcie lanes beyond the initial the 4? I'm planning to buy the 6800k, 1 gfx card and 1 m.2 drive so I'll have 4 left to assign?