News $99 Steam Deck Screen Jumps to 1200p

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have to be honest, I never understood the idea of pushing higher and higher resolutions on such small screens.

Especially for gaming, where there's lots of motion, but, even with cellphones, it just seems like doing it for "bigger numbers." My old LG Optimus L9, with its 960x540 resolution, managed to be quite sharp. Yeah, the screen was only 4.7 inches, I get that. But I don't think a 7 inch screen even needs 1920x1080. I'd say the 1280 resolution (by 720 or 800) is a really high pixel density.

Nobody complains about "gigantic, blocky, Atari-2600-type resolution" on a 24 inch monitor that's 1920x1080, after all.

colossusrage

Prominent
Jun 8, 2022
I wish they would've just gone with an OLED at the original resolution. The added pixels is going to hurt an already struggling GPU. Not sure how well it'll scale down to the original resolution without being blurry.

Reactions: peachpuff

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
This is a horrible idea. For one I doubt you will enjoy playing the games much more with just a bump in resolution. Secondly, you will definitely lose battery life and your frames will drop like mad. If anything I would say a better quality, same resolution, lower power usage screen would be a better upgrade. Companies are enticing people with the wrong numbers. Give me battery life, colors, and anti glare not higher res than my gpu can push well.

Reactions: purple_dragon
Deck and Nintendo Switch's 800p/720p screens are a real sweet spot on resolution, and I just don't think a resolution bump on this screen size would be worth the hit to battery life.

Right now, we only get about two to eight hours tops, and that increased resolution might worsen things a bit. Also, disassembling the Steam Deck and installing on your own is not for the faint of heart, but it might be worth for some hardcore gamers.

Reactions: King_V

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
I have to be honest, I never understood the idea of pushing higher and higher resolutions on such small screens.

Especially for gaming, where there's lots of motion, but, even with cellphones, it just seems like doing it for "bigger numbers." My old LG Optimus L9, with its 960x540 resolution, managed to be quite sharp. Yeah, the screen was only 4.7 inches, I get that. But I don't think a 7 inch screen even needs 1920x1080. I'd say the 1280 resolution (by 720 or 800) is a really high pixel density.

Nobody complains about "gigantic, blocky, Atari-2600-type resolution" on a 24 inch monitor that's 1920x1080, after all.

More resolution is not only about more details the eyes can catch. it will give you more space to work with and some games will show you more eyesight in higher resolutions.

bp_968

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
Got to say, I would much prefer an 16:10 OLED at 800p at 120hz with VRR capabilities, and matte.

The fact that someone is coming out with a replacement upgrade already gives me hope someone else will eventually offer an OLED replacement (even if it doesn't do 120hz or VRR just OLED and matte would totally be worth 100$ upgrade).

Sam Bridges

Commendable
Mar 19, 2022
I guess there’s a market for this replacement because otherwise why bother?

I personally don’t see the use for it. I’m perfectly content with the original display. I literally have no complaints. I couldn’t care less about color accuracy on a handheld gaming device like the Deck. Maybe VRR would have been neat, but that’s about it.

If I want a better display I’m going to use the docking station. When I’m on the go, nope, don’t care, not worth it. For me, mind ya.

Cheers.

Reactions: King_V

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
Got to say, I would much prefer an 16:10 OLED at 800p at 120hz with VRR capabilities, and matte.

The fact that someone is coming out with a replacement upgrade already gives me hope someone else will eventually offer an OLED replacement (even if it doesn't do 120hz or VRR just OLED and matte would totally be worth 100$ upgrade).

I prefer mini led over any oled ...