[SOLVED] 9900K 5.2 GHZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
I'm following this guide and have my Aorus Master Z390 stable @ 1.452V 5.2 GHZ with a LLC of medium for a delidded CPU. It's currently set at "Normal" Vcore and Dynamic Vcore +0.020v. In the guide he said he achieved this at -0.100v. How?! What am I doing wrong?
I would really like to get the voltage down! Could someone please point me in the right direction? I followed this guide exactly. (please see other comments in article if you can, he explains how he achieved 5.2 GHZ.) I know a pretty good deal now. Any help is appreciated.

UPDATE: Link not showing anymore. Here it is again.

Last edited:
Solution
I'm stable at 5.1 ghz 1.325v fixed LLC Turbo with Gigabyte's tutorial (see above for anyone reading this). 5.0 it's 1.285v Auto LLC.
See, now that 100mhz gap makes more sense: 0.04v difference.

"I'm following this guide and have my Aorus Master Z390 stable @ 1.452V 5.2 GHZ with a LLC of medium for a delidded CPU"
^That doesn't. 0.10 difference - OUCH.

Tried to raise the llc to Extreme (also Turbo)
All this does is increase the degree of voltage over-shoot that was designed to counter the hardware level Vdroop mechanic. The higher the level, the greater the values with Offset/Adaptive settings.
You're just cranking needlessly more heat into the cpu. At the same time, the extreme voltage over-shoot is the reason why...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you need to crank THAT MUCH voltage through that cpu to get 5.2ghz... I wish I didn't suck at explaining things - someone else may come along and do it better...

That is too high - it's dangerous. You're way past the point of diminishing returns. I suggest you forget about that OC guide and take a good read through CompuTronix's Intel Temperature Guide.

For every 100mhz you want to bump the frequency, it should need like 0.05v to make it stable. If it needs significantly more than that to make it stable - argh, what am I forgetting?
You need to dial it down though.

CPUAll Core SSE FrequencyAll Core AVX2 FrequencyBIOS Vcore% Capable
9900K4.80GHz4.60GHz1.275V100%
9900K4.90GHz4.70GHz1.287VTop 91%
9900K5.00GHz4.80GHz1.300VTop 30%
9900K5.10GHz4.90GHz1.312VTop 5%
9900KF4.80GHz4.60GHz1.275V100%
9900KF4.90GHz4.70GHz1.287VTop 92%
9900KF5.00GHz4.80GHz1.300VTop 37%
9900KF5.10GHz4.90GHz1.312VTop 8%
9900KS4.90GHz4.70GHz1.225V100%
9900KS5.00GHz4.80GHz1.250VTop 95%
9900KS5.10GHz4.90GHz1.287VTop 28%
9900KS5.20GHz5.0GHz1.325VTop 4%

That's Silicon Lottery's binning records for the 9900K and the other 2 variants.
None of those are remotely near using that kind of Vcore for their best overclocks. In their records, only the KS is stable at 5.2ghz - not to say it isn't possible with a K chip, but yours isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: vMax
You tend to fall of a cliff when moving from 5.1GHz to 5.2GHz and as Phaze has said it is very dependant on the silicon that you have recieved with 5.2GHz at a low vcore being only with the very top end silicon.

Personally I would not run my 10700K which is really a 9900K in disguise any higher than 1.35v and actually even that is a bit too much for me personally though you should be safe. I settled at a 5.1GHz at 1.295v and a turbo LLC setting.

I have the Z490 Aorus Ultra and on thing I have noticed with vcore on Gigabyte motherboards is that with Adaptive is really is hit and miss and requires changes to the IA AC to '1' and another similar setting also to '1' for the overclock to work properly... This thread on the Overclockers Forum for Gigabyte Z390 boards will help as it has a ton of info and settings for your board and the 9900K

https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1711478-gigabyte-z390-aorus-owners-thread.html

Personally, fixed vcore works better for me and it will still ramp up and down the CPU based on load..

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
My bad. I used a higher LLC of High and lowered the dynamic voltage to around - 0.020 to get to this. Glad to see lots of interest for this thread. I saw an expert get his vcore ridiculously low for 5.2GHZ, can't remember the site. I must be doing something wrong. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
My bad. I used a higher LLC of High and lowered the dynamic voltage to around - 0.020 to get to this. Glad to see lots of interest for this thread. I saw an expert get his vcore ridiculously low for 5.2GHZ, can't remember the site. I must be doing something wrong. Back to the drawing board.

An "expert" who won the silicon lottery. Refer to the chart posted above. You have an 8% or less chance of being stable at 5.2ghz.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Offset and Adaptive require more fine tuning.
Vcore override is easier to work with and removes a potential point of failure: the dynamic voltage adjustments.

With my current cpu OC'd to 4.5ghz at a fixed Vcore of 1.18, if I were to use offset or adaptive, I would need to adjust them to where they have to push a little more Vcore for the set frequency, like 1.196 or 1.212.

OMG... I linked the wrong thing in my last post - fixing that.

If you're doing this to smash benchmarks, OK. I would then take it that you already know what you're getting into squeezing that much voltage into that chip.
If this is for everyday use, then you won't have it for long...

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
Spent some extra dough so I thought I'd get the most out of it. Probably going to end up with 5.2 with an offset of 1, but maybe I hit the jackpot. Every one of these guides I read they're getting to 5.2 (most of them). I'm looking at this guide too and that's about it. The fixed vcores are the ones I'm having trouble with for 5.2 Ghz. I won't do it if it's past 1.4 vcore that's my rule.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8rY4TrcDXg

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm following this guide and have my Aorus Master Z390 stable @ 1.452V 5.2 GHZ with a LLC of medium for a delidded CPU. It's currently set at "Normal" Vcore and Dynamic Vcore +0.020v. In the guide he said he achieved this at -0.100v. How?! What am I doing wrong?
I would really like to get the voltage down! Could someone please point me in the right direction? I followed this guide exactly. (please see other comments in article if you can, he explains how he achieved 5.2 GHZ.) I know a pretty good deal now. Any help is appreciated.

Why are you trying to do this?

• Base: 3.6GHz
  • 5-8 core boost: 4.7GHz
  • 3-4 core boost: 4.8GHz
  • 1-2 core boost: 5.0GHz

So, why do you need to hit 5.2GHz, exactly? What are you trying to achieve?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Last year - or maybe a little later than that - I had my cpu delidded by Silicon Lottery and even paid for the binning service(out of curiousity). It wasn't a golden sample; more of a bronze.
7820X4.60GHz4.30GHz4.10GHz1.237VTop 98%
I run it at 4.5ghz instead with 1.18Vcore. My current cooler can't handle 4.6ghz all core; it throttles in benchmarks - I've set a thermal limit of 90C in bios, because there's no reason for the cpu to run higher than that.

So yeah, not too far off from 0.05v. Wouldn't surprise me if my cpu needed something like 1.36Vcore to sustain 4.7ghz - I'll never know; I don't have the cooling to try it, nor am I curious enough to bother.
I'm considering doing the frequency based on # of active cores, as that would at least allow me to run the 2 favorite threads at 4.6ghz, and I wouldn't miss that much performance from the all core 4.5ghz settings.

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
I'm stable at 5.1 ghz 1.325v fixed LLC Turbo with Gigabyte's tutorial (see above for anyone reading this). 5.0 it's 1.285v Auto LLC. I saw others run 5.0 @ 1.300. Thought I got a good chip. Tried to raise the llc to Extreme (also Turbo), push the vcore .5-.15 from 1.325V for 5.2 Ghz. Nope. Did the same at UltraExtreme LLC, computer turns off @ 1.345 vcore. No idea. I was feeling hopeless for 5.1 Ghz but it's surprisingly good now, why I'm here. I put the lid back on because I forgot the 9th Gen Direct to Die Frame from Rockit Cool so I can't really even use 5.2 GHZ right now anyways. Read people getting 20C off so we'll have to see, I'm not getting spit with the lid back on and Conductonaut. I can use Intel's extreme tuner for Firefox, really all I care about (and games). That's about it. I have a Thermaltake Triple Floe 360 that was supposed to make the temps better. Didn't really.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm stable at 5.1 ghz 1.325v fixed LLC Turbo with Gigabyte's tutorial (see above for anyone reading this). 5.0 it's 1.285v Auto LLC.
See, now that 100mhz gap makes more sense: 0.04v difference.

"I'm following this guide and have my Aorus Master Z390 stable @ 1.452V 5.2 GHZ with a LLC of medium for a delidded CPU"
^That doesn't. 0.10 difference - OUCH.

Tried to raise the llc to Extreme (also Turbo)
All this does is increase the degree of voltage over-shoot that was designed to counter the hardware level Vdroop mechanic. The higher the level, the greater the values with Offset/Adaptive settings.
You're just cranking needlessly more heat into the cpu. At the same time, the extreme voltage over-shoot is the reason why you're getting it 'stable' on Offset/Adaptive, and not Voltage Override.

Did the same at UltraExtreme LLC, computer turns off @ 1.345 vcore.
Willing to bet it triggered the current limit.

I have a Thermaltake Triple Floe 360 that was supposed to make the temps better. Didn't really.
Because that cooler is in the same class as the Corsair H150i Pro: Prioritized for silence, not performance. Both can be outperformed by high end air coolers and 280mm high performance models - not by much though, but still...
One does not get a sound focused AIO if they intend to overclock. That, combined with your adventures in over-volting, isn't helping the situation.

Solution

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
I bought the cooler because this site said it was 13C better than the h150i Pro (which I had before.) What the heck?
o well, at least it looks nice! Over-volting is my fortay :)

Last edited:

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
I'm in shock I missed this in the first tutorial link. I was supposed to have BCLK Adaptive Voltage Enabled and it was Disabled. Is it important? Glad I was talking about it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.