9900k Temp issues Idle and Load

Dec 28, 2018
9900k on an Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI Hero. Running a 280 AIO.

With that being said. I'm running at oddly high Idle temps 53c on the package, this is with 1% usage . It also likes to spike to 70c-80c seemingly out of no where when just sitting at my desk top or just opening steam or Chrome or just some kind of super small load on the CPU.
I've taken the CPU out to reset it. Reapplied paste. When I took the AIO off the CPU the paste looked fine nothing showing any high or low spots on the CPU.

Also to add the base clock is 3.6 and turbos to 4.7ish that is when the temp jumps to 100 or just sub 100c temps4

I've had to go to the power config in windows and drop the max to 99% to keep the CPU from turboing in order to run games. If I don't it jumps to 100c or slightly lower. I've also reset bios and updated bios. Didn't help.

I feel as if my luck in the lottery was 110% horrible. I'd just like to see goodish temps without having to handicap a 9900k. Looking for any ideas or info. I understand this CPU runs hot. But, not this hot.

Solution

Q: Is your AIO new, or used from a previous build?

There are four problems with AIO's:

(1) All AIO's will eventually fail. It’s not a question of if; it’s a question of when. Pumps have moving parts that wear out, so those which run 24/7/365 are prone to premature failure. AIO units are notorious for failures due to inferior pump quality, whereas custom loops typically use high-end pumps which have greater longevity.

(2) Coolant can evaporate over time due to "permeation" which can cause impeller "cavitation" due to...
Hi logzz :) All is not lost as yet.

Well assuming your 280mm AIO is functioning correctly then it should take care of the heat generated by your 9900K at 3.6GHz however, some do run hot using Turbo mode or when Overclocked to 5.00GHz

Reset your Bios to default if you have made any Overclock changes.
Try a manual OC to 4.2GHz using the multiplier in Bios and set core voltage to 1.28V.

Disable Turbo mode for now and stress test the system using AIDA64.
Also using HWInfo64 as a direct comparison for package, CPU die temps and for analysis, take screen shots at the 10 min mark in AIDA64 and post results here for analysis. Stop the test if temps on the Core go above 80C.
You can use IMGUR or your favorite host site to establish a link to your screenies.

From this analysis I can determine what changes may be required to maintain stability or indeed if you will need to RMA your CPU cause of a bad sample.
With the above settings you should not exceed 65-70C under load and at idle you would be looking at around 10-15C above ambient room temp.
Good Luck.

Phazoner

Distinguished
This CPU has known heating problems as the IHS is poorly soldered to the die. I don't know if Intel has solved this in the second wave of manufactured processors or if it stays the same. I remember some website tests showing really bad temperatures with really good coolers even at stock speeds. You can try to RMA it and check if a new processor improves the temperatures but I don't know if getting noticeably lower temperatures is really a posibility.

You should try what MeanMachine41 said and definitely undervolt that CPU. You should be able to get an offset undervolt between -100 and -150mV, which in my 6700k means a 10 degrees improvement.

CompuTronix

Intel Master

Q: Is your AIO new, or used from a previous build?

There are four problems with AIO's:

(1) All AIO's will eventually fail. It’s not a question of if; it’s a question of when. Pumps have moving parts that wear out, so those which run 24/7/365 are prone to premature failure. AIO units are notorious for failures due to inferior pump quality, whereas custom loops typically use high-end pumps which have greater longevity.

(2) Coolant can evaporate over time due to "permeation" which can cause impeller "cavitation" due to bubbles.

(3) AIO's are sealed Closed Loop Coolers (CLC), which unlike custom loops, are not designed to be cleaned of sediments and refilled.

(4) Also unlike custom loops, AIO's use dissimilar metals (aluminum radiator / copper water block). This causes galvanic corrosion which produces sediment over time. Even new AIO's may contain sediment due to inadequate flushing after being manufactured. Some particles can become relatively large over time, which can create blockages resulting in flow problems.

Simply installing, moving, handling or otherwise disturbing the unit, new or old, is enough to dislodge particles, whereupon the next power-up, the now free-floating particles can circulate into the impeller chamber and stop the impeller. Since the impeller is magnetically coupled to the motor (no direct shaft), the motor will continue to run while the impeller is stopped. So "hearing" the motor running or "feeling" vibration does not indicate flow, nor does Pump RPM in various software utilities.

Without an actual in-line sensor, proper flow is difficult to verify. Under normal operation, even at 100% workload, there should be only a minimal temperature differential between the tubes. However, if one tube is hot while the other is cool, it indicates little to no flow. This can be verified by checking the tubes with an infrared (IR) thermometer. Further, if the water block is hot while the radiator is cool, it also indicates little to no flow.
Concerning idle temperatures and spiking:

"Package" temperature is typically the hottest Core. Nonetheless, some monitoring utilities are infamous for assigning the wrong label to the wrong sensor, meaning that "package" may not actually be package.

Q: What are your Core temperatures?
Q: Which monitoring utility are you using?

As MeanMachine41 suggested, Hardware Info is highly recommended. It's known to be accurate, reliable and provides advanced monitoring details:

• Hardware Info - https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Core temperatures respond instantly to changes in load. Intel’s specification for Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) response time is 256 milliseconds, or about 1/4th of a second. Since Windows has dozens of Processes and Services running in the background, it’s normal to see rapid and random Core temperature “spikes” or fluctuations, especially during the first few minutes after startup. Any software activity will show some percentage of CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, where unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that contribute to excessive spiking can be disabled.

6th Generation processors introduced "Speed Shift" technology in Windows 10, which responds much faster to changes in workload than "SpeedStep" due to having many more Core speed and Core voltage transition levels.

Since 7th through 9th Generation Speed Shift is twice as fast as 6th Generation, some users complain of Core temperature spikes which can also cause fluctuations in fan RPM at idle. Motherboard manufacturers are implementing BIOS updates that include separate SpeedStep and Speed Shift settings with more flexible fan curves and time delay options.

Concerning "stress" tests:

Stress tests vary widely and can be characterized into two categories; stability tests which are fluctuating workloads, and thermal tests which are steady workloads. Intel tests their processors at a steady 100% TDP workload to validate Thermal Specifications. Prime 95 version 26.6 is a steady 100% TDP workload.

Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal and stability tests according to % of TDP, averaged across six processor Generations at stock settings rounded to the nearest 5%:

All tests will show 100% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, which indicates processor resource activity, not % TDP workload. Core temperatures respond directly to Power dissipation (Watts), which is driven by workload.

As shown in the scale above, Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT’s provides a true and steady 100% workload. No other utility so closely replicates Intel's test conditions. So if Core temperatures are below 85°C, then your processor should run the most demanding real-world workloads without overheating.

4th through 9th Generation i9, i7, i5 and i3 CPU’s have AVX2 Instruction Sets. Prime95 versions later than 26.6 run AVX/2 code on the CPU's Floating Point Unit (FPU), which is an unrealistic workload that can produce Core temperatures up to 20°C higher. As per Intel’s Datasheets, TDP and Thermal Specifications are validated “without AVX”.

• Prime95 v26.6 (non-AVX) - http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15504

It's been suggested that you should test using AIDA64 ... but which test(s)? AIDA64 has 15 possible stress test selections which yield 15 different Core temperatures.

Shown in the lower-left corner of the scale, AIDA64's individual CPU test is a steady workload, but it's just 70% TDP, which is poorly suited for thermal testing because Core temperatures are deceivingly low. Only the CPU/FPU test combination is about 100% TDP workload. All other AIDA64 test selections are fluctuating workloads, which aren't well suited for thermal testing.

As explained, and as shown on the scale above, when running a "thermal" test use Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT's.

You may want to read this: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Assuming your AIO is installed correctly:

(1) The evidence you've provided so far points to an AIO blockage problem.

Q: For troubleshooting purposes, do you have a decent air cooler to swap out for your AIO?

(2) All processors have thermal spikes that can be minimized but not eliminated.

CT :sol:

Solution
Dec 28, 2018
So I picked up a new AIO for the hell of it on my home thinking MAYBE just maybe this is the problem. Got home switched it out and now im at 25c idle and like 55c after 20mins on ADIA64

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Which of AIDA64's 15 possible test selections did you run?

Nevertheless, congratulations ... you fixed it! Well done! :D If you wouldn't mind, please try Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT's. Here's the link:

• Prime95 v26.6 - http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15504

If you already have a later version, don't run it. Use only v26.6. Just 10 minutes of Small FFT's is more than adequate for air or AIO coolers.

Let's see what Core temperatures you get.

CT :sol: