[SOLVED] A 155 mm CPU cooler in a 198 mm case that supports coolers up to 140 mm

Feb 28, 2021
I have a deepcool gammax 400 v2, which Is tall 155 mm and I want to upgrade my case. I found a case for 28€ ( the nox infinity omega) and I read that It can only support CPU coolers up to 140 mm. I read another forum where one person said that a 150 mm CPU cooler will stay in there. So my question Is: my CPU cooler will fit into that case?
The case Is larger 198 mm

Solution
  • Math says 158 is greater then 140.
  • but will it fit?

-someone said somewhere 150mm fit.
-150 is still less than 158, but will it fit.

I don't know what you want us to say other than yes it will fit when clearly it won't, but you are dead set, so cut a hole in the side or leave the side panel off.

Ralston18

Titan
The only way to know for sure is to delve into the case and fan specs via the applicable documentation and the respective manufacturer's websites.

I would also look at the motherboard as well: layout and dimensions.

There may be some room/space margin available for a larger cooler.

Key is to verify that via reliable sources.

• Math says 158 is greater then 140.
  • but will it fit?

-someone said somewhere 150mm fit.
-150 is still less than 158, but will it fit.

I don't know what you want us to say other than yes it will fit when clearly it won't, but you are dead set, so cut a hole in the side or leave the side panel off.

Reactions: madmatt30
Solution

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
I think you could cut a window in the side panel, just for the cooler. But that might look very strange.
I contemplated this kind of solution for my PC ; my side panel was of steel, would have been more dificult to cut it properly by hand. My intention was to cover the hole with a mesh from a nice front cover of a speaker.

If you would take out the side panel, sensitive parts might be exposed.
Sometimes cooling is less effective with side panels removed ; sometimes might improve temperature figures.
If the less effective cooling would occur, ventilators might have to do on higher speed -- so noise would might also be more perturbing.