[SOLVED] A bit confused on how OC works.

Crazykid1115

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
I currently have an RTX 2080 TI that I have liquid cooled with the Kracken G12 AIO Mounting kit to get top tier performance.
My GPU will not run stably above a 150 MHz offset even though the temps are below 60 degrees at full load for hours. I happen to not believe it is a voltage issue as whether I have my voltage at 0% or 100% I get the same results. Someone please educate me.

(notice the futility of adjusting the voltage control is, literally whether I have my voltage at 100% or 0%, I cannot get a stable OC above 150 mhz. )

My Speks:
2080ti evga xc ultra
32 gb 3200 mhz ram

Solution
I currently have an RTX 2080 TI that I have liquid cooled with the Kracken G12 AIO Mounting kit to get top tier performance.
My GPU will not run stably above a 150 MHz offset even though the temps are below 60 degrees at full load for hours. I happen to not believe it is a voltage issue as whether I have my voltage at 0% or 100% I get the same results. Someone please educate me.

(notice the futility of adjusting the voltage control is, literally whether I have my voltage at 100% or 0%, I cannot get a stable OC above 150 mhz. )

My Speks:
2080ti evga xc ultra
32 gb 3200 mhz ram

Putting the voltage slider to 100 from 0 won't usually do anything. By bringing the slider to 100 you're basically allowing the card to pull...

Crazykid1115

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
Hmmm, maybe I need a stronger PSU? I am currently using 750 watt PSU (around 5 years old in case someone needs to know) and I'm using both 8 pin connectors on the GPU that the PSU provides. Also, It is being watercooled by the Kracken G12 AIO Mounting bracket. I just find it really weird that no matter what voltage offset I have it at the stable OC is still exactly the same...

FullTank

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
i didn't really understood what you trying to say so will ask
gpu is not really going above a certain number of MHz, even when you trying to setup it to be at higher value, is that correct? , in all the games/stresstests ? , or is it able to use your desired ones somewhere? , what's the +12V rail reports towards the gpu? some gpus have that sensor inside the tool with a name aida64/Computer/Sensor/scroll to the very bottom & find the GPU1: GPU +12V 12.063 V or something like that, do note that during idle and load the value may change dramatically(better to check it during gpu load, if even have that value inside aida64 since gigabyte gpus do not have it generally, yours is not gigabyte though but i never owned evga), do note that you must look for exactly GPU , not just +12V (just +12V is the cpu i believe) , i mentioned it only because once i owned a cheapo 700W Xilence PSU which had 10.6V on load on 12V gpu rail and my gpu never achieved it's stock clocks even whenever fps went above 50 in any game

which motherboard also, since some cheaper mobos lacking VRMs

if your clocks is exactly same always however, like, always same number, then perhaps your overclocking utility just doesn't really work for the values which you setup?

hope you or others will figure out what problem you have and have a nice day. :)

Crazykid1115

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
Mobo is Micro-Star International Z370 A- Pro. I have no Idea what you are talking about with this aida 64 stuff and this voltage talk, but what I'm trying to say is that I assume by supplying the gpu with more voltage, I can push the gpu to a higher clock as long as it is at a safe temperature. Is that correct?

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Mobo is Micro-Star International Z370 A- Pro. I have no Idea what you are talking about with this aida 64 stuff and this voltage talk, but what I'm trying to say is that I assume by supplying the gpu with more voltage, I can push the gpu to a higher clock as long as it is at a safe temperature. Is that correct?
Not necessarily. Keeping the card cool is so you don't hit the thermal limit and have the card throttle itself but there is no guarantee that you can overclock above stock clocks even if you are within the thermal limit.

Jassen

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
Aida 64 is a program that you can see your voltages, temps, exc. You need to make sure that the +12V and +5V stay at +12V and +5V when you OC, or at any point actually. What is your PSU?
And "NO", all processors have a limit, even with the right voltages and cooling, point is that you should be able to get at least 10% OC

My Speks:
2080ti evga xc ultra
32 gb 3200 mhz ram

Putting the voltage slider to 100 from 0 won't usually do anything. By bringing the slider to 100 you're basically allowing the card to pull more voltage when it needs to... that can also cause instability since every GPU is different and some won't be able to run at a certain voltage. Just leave the voltage slider to 0, you don't need to fiddle with it... it will usually cause more harm than getting a stable OC.

I'm assuming you've brought the power limit to max on the card.

If that's the case, then your card is simply not able to run at a higher OC. The temperature isn't the only factor... you can have your card at a really low temp and still be unstable past a certain point. This is called "silicon lottery" - in the manufacturating process there are differences between materials from batch to batch... that's resulting in some graphics chips performing better or worse. I've seen 2080ti's that won't overclock even 50 MHz, so consider yourself lucky.

Conclusion: It's probably the GPU limitation that doesn't allow you to go past 150 MHz and you can't do anything about that... even if it would've overclocked higher the difference in performance would be insignificant.

Last edited:
Solution

FullTank

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
GPUs have their own VRMs
yes, of course, but i was talking about cpu, cpu bottleneck exist you know?
i'll explain a bit more detailed, basically my friend owns exactly I7 8700K , and a cheapest compatible mobo for it, which lacks everything, the one which generally being used for pentiums(non gaming) , H310, and that mobo unfortunately in fact reduces GHz of cpu in some games, and lack of such GHz in result can easily reduce MHz of such powerful gpu as the RTX 2080 TI which the OP have here, i'm not saying that that's the case (as well as i only asked for the mobo name which may end up being some high end mobo anyway), i'm just asking questions from experience

and as i read (just now) his reply on my question he in fact have a high end one, which means that people here can throw away one of the possibilities of the issue, the crazykid sadly never said which 12v he have during load on the gpu though :x , so can't throw that possibility out yet, and perhaps he abandoned/forgot about the thread already, kinda like how i forgot about it

Last edited: