A Closer Look At Silverstone's Teeny Tiny Raven RVZ02, And Why We Like It

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
I would love to build in this case, if only Silverstone would release the 600w PSU in the UK for under £100+. I am concerned that in the horizontal position, which i would use under the TV, the GPU intake is very close to the surface. Hope it wont smother the GPU.

dovah-chan

Honorable
It's the size of a console almost. Go watch Linus' video to really get a scale of how small this tower really is. (and how he almost broke the only one in the world).

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Well, since this case uses less space than the current record holder, the NCase M1, for a case able to handle a full size video card, I'd say "teeny" and "tiny" is appropriate for this case. Anything smaller would force you to go with a slimline video card or an APU.

I do agree though that they have a tendency to use the terms 'teeny' and 'tiny' loosly as the Bitfenix Prodigy and similar are not small and they've used similar words on those.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I like the look of the RVZ-02, but to only have 2 2.5" drives is kind of a deal breaker. Both the RVZ-01 and the NCase M1, while larger, allow for a lot more hard drives (up to 3 3.5" and 2 2.5" or up to 6 2.5" using 3.5" to 2 2.5" adapters in the M1 and 1 3.5" and 3 2.5" or up to 5 2.5" drives using a 3.5" to 2 2.5" adapter while still allowing a slot load ODD in both). Likewise, the RVZ-01 still would look good next to a TV for use as an HTPC. They just cut the size of the RVZ-02 down too much (they need a couple more 2.5" HDs in it).

TechieNewbie

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Even though I like the case, what are companies aversions to using a PCI riser cable and simply folding the card over? I mean why not just add an extra inch or so to the width of the case as opposed to five inches to the height?

That form factor would also allow you to line the bottom of the case with 2.5 drives, nix the slim optical, and have a 3.5 covering the PSU rat nest of cables. I guess, I don't know how to make a chassis, because using space in this way seems so obvious to me.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I would love to build in this case, if only Silverstone would release the 600w PSU in the UK for under £100+. I am concerned that in the horizontal position, which i would use under the TV, the GPU intake is very close to the surface. Hope it wont smother the GPU.
I would hope Silverstone would include at least some self-adhesive rubber feet or something to lift the case ~1/4" to ~1/2" off of a surface when laying on its side. They're usually pretty good with including accessories with their cases. If they don't include some little rubber feet it should be only a few bucks to get some at a hardware store or online.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
General comment: why even bother with an ODD?! The slim ones you would need are overpriced and underused. This is a console!

@balister: Consider putting all your data (and HDDs) in a NAS device in your LAN closet and go with a single SSD or two. The spinners will only slow this console down.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
At last! This is possibly the first case, that will enable to loosely replicate the Falcon Northwest Tiki, and in with style! I'd wish to have this beauty on my desk, or beside TV. Raven's style is maybe not something that everyone is cool with, but at this point it's irrelevant, as it's the only case in this format, beside the Tiki.

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
"The coating of the case didn't seem entirely finished yet (or was heavily damaged)"

Yeah. I think I know who did that. *cough* Linus *cough*

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

I'm assuming you're referring to using a ribbon cable to have the video card fans point the other direction? I have wondered the same thing. The performance doesn't hurt going that route either as I've used a ribbon cable in the past without problems.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I like the look of the RVZ-02, but to only have 2 2.5" drives is kind of a deal breaker. Both the RVZ-01 and the NCase M1, while larger, allow for a lot more hard drives (up to 3 3.5" and 2 2.5" or up to 6 2.5" using 3.5" to 2 2.5" adapters in the M1 and 1 3.5" and 3 2.5" or up to 5 2.5" drives using a 3.5" to 2 2.5" adapter while still allowing a slot load ODD in both). Likewise, the RVZ-01 still would look good next to a TV for use as an HTPC. They just cut the size of the RVZ-02 down too much (they need a couple more 2.5" HDs in it).
The proper place for your 3.5" hard drives are not inside a computer but externally or better yet in a NAS connected to your network. Seriously, this is the best place to keep your massive storage needs.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

The problem is, nothing has really been shown of it lying horizontal. My worry is that this case has no room for extra fans and is designed so the CPU fan and GPU fan sit flush with the case. That means there is very little airflow over the Motherboard, but more importantly, a blower design cooler isnt great at pulling in fresh air, rather than pushing the fresh air that its blown into it from case air flow. I can't wait to see reviews and benchmarks of the final product. I can't remember the last time i saw an enthusiast case with no case fans. lol

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I've built my HT/gaming PC using the rvz01 and it is sitting horizontal. The case itself comes with rubber feet, magnetic filters and space for three 13x120mm fans. Due to the constraints of the case, IMO a blower style card works best. In regards to the PSU, the silverstone 400W 80+ gold SFX psu is handling my gtx 980 with no problem, but got the 600W version JIC

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

Cool, thanks for the feedback. Im going to wait for some reviews of the consumer version. The lack of case fans in the RVZ02 does concern me. But i guess thats what you need to do for a truly small form factor. One thing i do like the idea of is it being small enough to chuck in a laptop sized case to take with me to friends, Holiday .etc

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Same case as well and I can run it horizontal w/o a noticeable temperature difference; even using an AMD 7770 Ghz Edition video card that is not of the blower type. Btw, the one Silverstone SFX PSU is a 450W, not 400W ;)

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

yep, thanks for the correction. My only real complaint about the case is that they should use a PCIe ribbon extender instead of a riser to add more flexibility within the case, but, nevertheless, a great case.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Yeah, I wish they used a ribbon cable as well. That way they could 180 the video card and have all the case fans be on the same side of the case. I had at one point thought about placing the case upside down, horizontally, due to that.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
It wont be long before 3D printing makes this a simple DIY job. It is essentially a case of just having the right sized bit of plastic to support a gpu, disc-drive drive and 2.5" drives. Could easily just buy a PCIe ribbon

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

I actually have a ribbon cable at home that works since at one point I was going to make my own computer case. It would have proven too costly to have made though with a 3D printer or through a custom machine shop (between $300 and $500). Someday though. :)

The biggest problem with trying to do a DIY mod on this case would be flipping the side where the video card screws in, making ventilation holes on the top of the case and sealing the holes on the bottom.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

Why fip the GPU? you could essentially keep the bracket as it is, just removing the part for the riser and allowing a ribbon instead. Actually looking at the riser part on the RVZ01, i dont see why you couldnt easily remove the riser part (looks to be screwed on) and just use your ribbon. At least you have flexabilty then.
SilverStone-Raven-RVZ01-pcie-riser.jpg

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Flipping the GPU so all the fans are on the same side of the case. As it currently sits when horizontal, the CPU fan points to the top of the case and the video card points to the bottom of the case, potentially impeding airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.