[SOLVED] A device which does not exist was specified, Drive is not accessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
I have installed windows on a new HDD, and as for the old one, I have just formatted the C drive of the old one from windows install setup. Now the thing is, I had other stuff in that old HDD. The old one had 4 partitions, one of them is C which is gone, 2 drives show details in blue (Image below), and the last one seems completely empty.
CBtKsys.png
xd0ZZwm.png

Disk 1 is the broken one. All three drives have stuff in them. Why can't I access them? How do I recover them? Please help.

Last edited:
Solution
I've been doing all sorts of things to fix it, but nothing worked except for when I got a new HDD and plugged it in, it worked, now if I plugged back the old one it worked too. Well, so I tested the SATA Cables, they also worked fine, then I tested the SATA Motherboard headers, turns out one of them(5) is broken/not working, I figured it when the new HDD was not working too. I still have the warranty so I'll replace it soon.

I got an M.2 500gig SSD so that I don't have to worry about these sata stuff, also I got a big boost in my performance. To put my performance increase into perspective, my boot time was 1-2 mins before and now it's less than 10 seconds. Just Wow.

TL,DR: One of 5 Mobo header is broken, I'll replace it soon with...

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
there is no H on disk management
did you try access G/I/J/K drive in windows explorer?
I changed the letters, and formatted the drive from windows boot menu to fix it, a system reserve of 500 MB is created and 2, 460 GB Drives are created but I still can't access them in the windows explorer as they are raw disks, I followed a guide and tried using diskpart in cmd using the "Clean" command but it said "DiskPart has encountered an error: A device which does not exist was specified. See the System Event Log for more information." And accompanying screenshot:
View: https://imgur.com/CUBP9Bs

Aug 12, 2019
Did you ever figure out how to fix this? I was using acronis backup and cancelled the creation of the survival kit and now I have the same issue.

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
I've been doing all sorts of things to fix it, but nothing worked except for when I got a new HDD and plugged it in, it worked, now if I plugged back the old one it worked too. Well, so I tested the SATA Cables, they also worked fine, then I tested the SATA Motherboard headers, turns out one of them(5) is broken/not working, I figured it when the new HDD was not working too. I still have the warranty so I'll replace it soon.

I got an M.2 500gig SSD so that I don't have to worry about these sata stuff, also I got a big boost in my performance. To put my performance increase into perspective, my boot time was 1-2 mins before and now it's less than 10 seconds. Just Wow.

TL,DR: One of 5 Mobo header is broken, I'll replace it soon with warranty and also got an SSD for faster performance.

So, thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread, I really appreciate it.

Reactions: jaydel2
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.