[SOLVED] "A device which does not exist was specified." error when initializing HDD

Jan 25, 2020
Hi,
I have gotten to this point as a result of previous issues (which I've posted about here), and am stuck.

I removed this drive as a test, and found that the previously mentioned issues were solved, but when I put it back in, I attempted to initialize it in Disk Management, but got the error message "A device which does not exist was specified". I have checked the SMART values and it the drive comes out as OK.

Before I removed the drive, I had issues (all while troubleshooting other issue) with , certain files being un-deletable, the file system shifting to RAW, and "device which does not exist errors" when I tried to reformat from RAW. These problems were solved when I restarted the computer and Windows ran disk check, but after removing the device an re-inserting it again, I am now having my current problem.

Thankfully, I don't have any important data stored on this drive, and would be open to any troubleshooting ideas or suggestions on how to repair it.

Specs:
  • Intel i5 8600k @4.6GHz
  • ROG STRIX Z370-I Gaming
    • BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. 1002 (7/2/2018)
    • SMBIOS Version: 3.0
  • MSI Duke GTX 1080
  • 16GB Team Vulcan RAM
  • Kingston SA400S37 120G (Boot drive)
  • ST3000DM001-1CH166 (2TB secondary drive)
Thanks!

Solution
You seem to have missed the suggestion made in your previous thread, here, by not updating the BIOS to the latest version. I highly suggest that you update the BIOS gradually(working your way through) to the latest version and then see if the issue persists.

You also forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and the version for your OS.

Lutfij

Titan
You seem to have missed the suggestion made in your previous thread, here, by not updating the BIOS to the latest version. I highly suggest that you update the BIOS gradually(working your way through) to the latest version and then see if the issue persists.

You also forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and the version for your OS.

Solution