A First Look At Google's Chrome Aura Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]That's an old Compiz concept in Linux, actually. XGL desktop times!Anyway, not new at all IMO.Cheers![/citation]
if im thinking of the same thing, i never liked that part of linux, i know its usefull, but i never liked it.

Am I correct in assuming this is for Chrome OS? If so, then why bother making this for the 5 people in the world that use it? I understand Google wants to increase adoption of Chrome OS but there's nothing Chrome OS can do that others can't - regular users are happy with Android/iOS tablet and Windows netbooks, and power users use Windows and Linux. The clueless use Mac OS X. Chrome OS just doesn't fit in there.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Am I correct in assuming this is for Chrome OS? If so, then why bother making this for the 5 people in the world that use it? I understand Google wants to increase adoption of Chrome OS but there's nothing Chrome OS can do that others can't - regular users are happy with Android/iOS tablet and Windows netbooks, and power users use Windows and Linux. The clueless use Mac OS X. Chrome OS just doesn't fit in there.[/citation]

But but but.. it's the CLOUD!! It's TEH FUTURE!!!!!

:lol:

Chrome interface is a POS. It's not "simple", it's dumbed down. I installed it on my PC yesterday and made my grandma do the same so that I can use Chrome's remote desktop feature (very easy and I don't know of any similar addon for FF), and SHE had trouble with the interface. First thing I hear: "Where did all the menus go? WTF?"

:D

G

Tried Chrome OS in a virtual program. Can't see any real advantage to using it unless you work for Google or believe in nothing but what Google offers. Almost looks good for a pre boot OS when you just need to check mail or look up directions. Hardly anything that to me can replace a traditional OS like Apple's OS X or Microsoft's Windows. Their have been many faces of Linux on Desktops and not a single one has caught on in the consumer market unless you want to consider Android. Which I do think is a good platform for a Linux OS. But on Desktops or laptops in Enterprise or for consumers. People are used to certain applications. Google is very poor at understanding typical consumers. They are all geeks at Google and do not connect well with what a typical user wants.

G

Why is it called "translucent" when all the windows are 100% opaque?

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Am I correct in assuming this is for Chrome OS? If so, then why bother making this for the 5 people in the world that use it? I understand Google wants to increase adoption of Chrome OS but there's nothing Chrome OS can do that others can't - regular users are happy with Android/iOS tablet and Windows netbooks, and power users use Windows and Linux. The clueless use Mac OS X. Chrome OS just doesn't fit in there.[/citation]
Actually, there's is 1 thing ChromeOS can do....that other operating systems can't. Make a "laptop" computer completely useless when the power goes out....

ichihaifu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Actually, there's is 1 thing ChromeOS can do....that other operating systems can't. Make a "laptop" computer completely useless when the power goes out....[/citation]
Dunno where you live, but here most laptop users use 3G and 4G. I dont know if chrome OS has support for 3rd party devices like those yet though, I havent tried.

G

Chromebooks come in wifi only and wifi/3G . They also offer 100mb a month for free for 2 years from verizon 3G. You can pay and upgrade that limit. Also, there are web apps for anything that you can do with a traditional laptop except play high end games like Skyrim. Casual games can be played on the web using web apps, Aviary Editor can compete with Photoshop, and Google Docs is a good free alternative to MS Office. When the power goes down, you can still watch movies stored on your hard drive and listen to music you have stored on your hard drive. You can also use the slimmed down Word Proccessor called Scratchpad which works without internet connection and when you get internet connection back, it syncs to Google Docs and saves it. What can you with any computer when the power goes out? I bet the main things you do is listen to music, watch movies, and maybe type a doc. You can do all that in Chrome without internet. Most of the apps only work when you have internet connection. That is true. However, think about the fact that web apps are free and you will always have the newest version. When Adobe CS7 comes out people will throw away CS6 and get CS7 after spending hundreds of dollars on CS6. What about security? Your info is not cached, its saved on Google's Cloud. You do not have to run any type of malware program. How much does Norton cost a year? 60$? You can X that out as well if you have chrome. If your computer messes up, you get a new one and log into chrome and it looks exactly the same as your old one. All of your apps, all of your settings, its all there. There are a lot of good things about chrome. The concept is great. Its greatly reduces the cost of running a business. You can also greatly reduce your IT dept cost. However, you do lose 85 percent of the functionality and about 90% of your apps if you do not have internet connection. Well its a good thing I have internet everywhere I go. I am never without internet. So chrome works well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.