A First Look At Samsung's PM971 Entry-Level NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giroro

Splendid
Hold on, why are we talking about the soldering technology? Aren't the vast majority of flash chips already using Ball Gate Array (BGA)?
I assume the real news is that this drive uses fewer chips than normal. So shouldn't we be calling this a System On a Chip (SOC) Instead?

Tanyac

Reputable
Regardless of how it mounts, the specs for this drive are quite unimpressive.
Given how long the 950 pro and 960 pro have been out, the specs of those drives should be the baseline of any new model. The PM971 is reminiscent of the AHCI PM951 drive.

Disappointing

Valantar

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014

The difference is that the m.2 card here is nothing more than a riser card - the entire SSD is one BGA package, as opposed to a controller, RAM, flash chips, and all the capacitors and resistors and stuff required to keep it working right. This has absolutely everything integrated. I love that they're making an m.2 version, though - BGA SSDs soldered to the motherboard is kind of a nightmare scenario. This, on the other hand, should be compact enough for all but the most tiny devices, while still being replaceable. Love it.

Rodney Wilder

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013

This also allows for larger capacity and newer/cheaper or more reliable M.2 drives in the shorter 2242 (42mm long) and 2230 lengths. Of note, most m.2 devices currently on the market are 2280 (80mm long), there are very few 2242 models currently available, especially in sizes over 250gb. I have multiple 2U rack servers which cannot accept m.2 drive longer than a 2242 which greatly limits options. Fairly certain also have a few all-in-1 pcs which accept only 2242 length m.2 ssds

Status
Not open for further replies.