Question A friend is building a rig - seeing strange issues

sheremey2

Prominent
Jan 6, 2023
Hello,

a gamer wants his better rig, modifying older components. The new additions to the already-working rig (used for non-gaming purposes) were the addition of PNY RTX 3090 and a new fast monitor (165ms refresh). The thing booted up (we saw this on the monitor as well) and suddenly lost all the signs of life. No, there is no limitation in the power supply (750W Corsair, and the system does not have anything power-draining besides this GPU). Since several attempts to switch the system on resulted in nothing, a new power supply was purchased, and when it arrived, we pressed the power button on the unmodified system again, just for the hell of it.... And it turned on! But the monitor shows black screen. Yes, it is connected perfectly fine, via the only card's HDMI port, and as I mentioned, we have seen the boot screen in the beginning. The card - PNY RTX 3090 - is a suspect, since 1 fan out of 3 is not spinning. The card was purchased refurbished. Any hints? To anticipate the question, all the 8-pin card power connectors (there are 2) are connected via separate lines from PSU, no iffy solutions here. The guy has zero budjet at the moment.

Hello,

a gamer wants his better rig, modifying older components. The new additions to the already-working rig (used for non-gaming purposes) were the addition of PNY RTX 3090 and a new fast monitor (165ms refresh). The thing booted up (we saw this on the monitor as well) and suddenly lost all the signs of life. No, there is no limitation in the power supply (750W Corsair, and the system does not have anything power-draining besides this GPU). Since several attempts to switch the system on resulted in nothing, a new power supply was purchased, and when it arrived, we pressed the power button on the unmodified system again, just for the hell of it.... And it turned on! But the monitor shows black screen. Yes, it is connected perfectly fine, via the only card's HDMI port, and as I mentioned, we have seen the boot screen in the beginning. The card - PNY RTX 3090 - is a suspect, since 1 fan out of 3 is not spinning. The card was purchased refurbished. Any hints? To anticipate the question, all the 8-pin card power connectors (there are 2) are connected via separate lines from PSU, no iffy solutions here. The guy has zero budjet at the moment.
Hey there,

Firt of all, list the full PC specs.

Secondly, it's highly likely adding a 3090 to an office system is the problem here.

Which PSU exactly is in the system? This is important. Also, just because you have a 750w PSU, doesn't mean it's up to scratch for gaming. The RTX 3xxx by series are well know for transient power spikes. This could be a factor here.

The 3090, bought new? Or second hand?

"The new additions to the already-working rig (used for non-gaming purposes) were the addition of PNY RTX 3090 and a new fast monitor (165ms refresh). "

Did the 3090 replace an existing discrete GPU, or was he using the integrated graphics on his CPU (presuming his CPU has integrated graphics)?

sheremey2

Prominent
Jan 6, 2023
"The new additions to the already-working rig (used for non-gaming purposes) were the addition of PNY RTX 3090 and a new fast monitor (165ms refresh). "

Did the 3090 replace an existing discrete GPU, or was he using the integrated graphics on his CPU (presuming his CPU has integrated graphics)?
Replacing 1080 Ti

sheremey2

Prominent
Jan 6, 2023
Hey there,

Firt of all, list the full PC specs.

Secondly, it's highly likely adding a 3090 to an office system is the problem here.

Which PSU exactly is in the system? This is important. Also, just because you have a 750w PSU, doesn't mean it's up to scratch for gaming. The RTX 3xxx by series are well know for transient power spikes. This could be a factor here.

The 3090, bought new? Or second hand?

Hi and thanks.

"Office system" indeed may ring a wrong bell.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 Ghz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80623I72600K

MoBo: need to dig into that, but that's ASUS LGA1155 something, without (!) integrated graphics, so it is sort of "not an ordinary office one"; I'll give more details when there is a chance

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze (TX750)

RAM: 32 Gb

Discs: 500Gb SSD + 6 Tb HDD

The 3090 is indeed refurbished and suspicious. I am afraid we'll need to take a "hardware hacking" route with that one... The return window is closed (this was collecting the dust on the shelf for a few months, before the first chance to plug it anywhere)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead