[SOLVED] A gaming laptop and a macbook instead of PC?

sylex1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2016
Hi there guys!
So i've been using a PC since I was 10 or less.
I had a few MacBook in the past years and they felt comfy, but i always returned to PC because of gaming.
I built a High End Gaming PC in 2019 Q3 but now i'm just not playing that much.
I have a new company notebook (Dell G5 maxed out) so the thing is I can play almost any games on it if I want to.
2060 is not a 2080 Ti for sure, but it almost handles everything I play, like LoL and PUBG or CS:GO most.
So my question is i have a trade opportunity for the latest 2019 16" MacBook Pro basic modell.
I have all Apple products except the Mac series.
I want to do some PS work and i really want to try video editing. The thing is I did lot of research of the area and 80% says MacOS is much more comfortable for these things then Windows.
What you think should I take the deal?
And dont got me wrong. I will keep my G5 anyway.
The thing is the High End PC for gaming at home thats what I'm thinking about exchange for a MBp 19' 16" basic as a home or daily driver.

Solution
It all depends on your habits. Getting an (inferior) MacBook instead of your PC only makes sense, if you really need the mobility or ecosystem or can't work at home properly.

All said applications should run better on a decent gaming PC. Video editing depends on RAM and CPU mostly.

But what exactly are you trading in, if you keep the G5 anyway? And what cost will come with it?

Considering money, keeping the beast of Gaming-PC you already have is probably both, futureproof (can excahge parts later) and a pretty good starting point for trying out the editing thing - if you don't like editing, you have not wasted any money.
Hi there guys!
So i've been using a PC since I was 10 or less.
I had a few MacBook in the past years and they felt comfy, but i always returned to PC because of gaming.
I built a High End Gaming PC in 2019 Q3 but now i'm just not playing that much.
I have a new company notebook (Dell G5 maxed out) so the thing is I can play almost any games on it if I want to.
2060 is not a 2080 Ti for sure, but it almost handles everything I play, like LoL and PUBG or CS:GO most.
So my question is i have a trade opportunity for the latest 2019 16" MacBook Pro basic modell.
I have all Apple products except the Mac series.
I want to do some PS work and i really want to try video editing. The thing is I did lot of research of the area and 80% says MacOS is much more comfortable for these things then Windows.
What you think should I take the deal?
And dont got me wrong. I will keep my G5 anyway.
The thing is the High End PC for gaming at home thats what I'm thinking about exchange for a MBp 19' 16" basic as a home or daily driver.
I use a MacBook for daily because it’s a better os than Windows, to get the most out of a MacBook for video editing you’ll need to buy final cut.

Depends How much you use your PC, a PC running Adobe will demolish a MacBook running FC for the same price but the MacBook will beat the G5 comfortably.

With photoshop if you’re drawing anything sidecar with the iPad and a pencil would be a good choice and since you have more apple stuff you can take advantage of the ecosystem which is useful.

moegerbyte

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016
It all depends on your habits. Getting an (inferior) MacBook instead of your PC only makes sense, if you really need the mobility or ecosystem or can't work at home properly.

All said applications should run better on a decent gaming PC. Video editing depends on RAM and CPU mostly.

But what exactly are you trading in, if you keep the G5 anyway? And what cost will come with it?

Considering money, keeping the beast of Gaming-PC you already have is probably both, futureproof (can excahge parts later) and a pretty good starting point for trying out the editing thing - if you don't like editing, you have not wasted any money.

Solution

moegerbyte

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016
I have a 9900k CPU and 16 gigs of ram which i want to upgrade to 32.
I will stay at PC and try Adobe first.
Thanks for the answers from both of you! :)

No worries, glad to be of help!

You should be VERY fine to start with video editing in the latest CS of Adobe (Premiere Pro / After Effects) with you existing build. I run an i7-6700K and 16GB of fast RAM and it is going very smoothly for basic tasks. Unless you are planning to work with a lot of 4k / 8k vids, you can get to work and see if you need more.

Maybe consider that doubling of RAM a luxury - and get it later if you feel you need it. :)

Reactions: sylex1