[SOLVED] A gaming PC for my little bro

Oct 14, 2020
Hey peoples!

My little brother asked me for help with his first self build computer, but it’s been many years since I looked into components and stuff. So I’m pretty confident about assembling it with him, but I have no idea, what to tell him about buying. Please help!

When are you purchasing the parts? Around Christmas.

What is your budget? Up to 1000€, preferably less of course.

What are your needs? (Online) Gaming at 60fps, 1440p.

Your from the PC: No need to update parts for as long as possible ;-)

Your location: Germany

Your preferred sellers/websites: -

Your part choices: -

Why are you upgrading? He is playing a lot of WoW and it seems there is a new expansion that his current PC can’t do. Also, other (newer) games he can’t do, so there’s that.

Your current PC specs: From the pictures he sent me, I would say it’s an HP 500-433ng.
Intel Core i5-4460, 8GB DDR3, 16GB SSD + 1TB SATA HDD, VIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB GDDR5, Gigabit Ethernet WLAN 802.11b/g/n

Do you plan to upgrade this PC? Maybe reuse the WLAN-card or the case? Not sure.

Ithat helps, I can see whether I can provide more info about his current computer, but for me it seems pretty dusty.

Thanks in advance, kind humanoids <3

Solution
(Woop woop, German replies.)

Thanks for the suggestion and discussion so far. I’m also happy to know the Nvidia alternative for the GPU as my brother can be a brand-fanboy sometimes. Is there an Intel equivalent to the CPU also? (Probably that would need a change of mainboard?)

I’m assuming, the boxed cooler is good enough so we don’t need a separate one?

Would he be able to reuse the WLAN-card? are there specifications, I need to look out for?
Intel + Nvidia...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor | €247.99 @ Mindfactory
CPU Cooler | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler | €48.89 @ Alza
Motherboard |...
Something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor | €207.99 @ Mindfactory
Motherboard | MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | €103.90 @ Amazon Deutschland
Memory | Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | €88.90 @ Amazon Deutschland
Storage | Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | €110.49 @ Amazon Deutschland
Video Card | Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB TUF Gaming X3 OC Video Card | €369.00 @ Amazon Deutschland
Case | Zalman S2 ATX Mid Tower Case | €38.89 @ Alza
Power Supply | Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | €93.56 @ Amazon Deutschland
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | €1012.73
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-14 14:29 CEST+0200 |

alexbirdie

Respectable
Gute Auswahl.
Anstatt der 5700xt wäre noch eine 2060 super von nvidia überlegenswert. Sind bei Tests gleichauf, aber die nvidia kann zusätzlich noch PhysX. Gibt ein paar Spiele ( z.B. Borderlands 2,3), die das verwenden. Das Raytraycing der 2060 erwähne ich gar nicht, da selten unterstützt und grottenlangsam.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The 5700XT has a small advantage over the 2060 Super in performance, as well as, on average a small advantage in lower price.

PhysX is not part of Borderlands 3, and it is an old technology. For the past few years, CPUs could easily handle the needs of PhysX without needing dedicated GPU hardware for it. It's not worth considering PhysX when making this choice.

alexbirdie

Respectable
The 5700XT has a small advantage over the 2060 Super in performance, as well as, on average a small advantage in lower price.

PhysX is not part of Borderlands 3, and it is an old technology. For the past few years, CPUs could easily handle the needs of PhysX without needing dedicated GPU hardware for it. It's not worth considering PhysX when making this choice.
Sorry for posting in German. I think, you are right. Only few games do support PhysX.

My old 3770k with borderland 2 was not able to achieve acceptable FPS with the Physx ON.
But then ( few years ago) I changed to 1080ti, and then it worked great. Although I played Borderlands 3 completely (incl. all DLCs), obviously I was not aware, that PhysX is not longer used. But I suppose, with my new built ( 3950x and 2080 super) I would not have realized the difference. Thx for your info.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
No worries - the OP is in Germany, after all, and, while I may be lazy, I am not too lazy to use Google Translate. :D

I think in Borderlands 2, my son and I both used software PhysX. The effects were interesting, though putting the burden on a Haswell era i5 (mine, 4c/4t) and Haswell era Pentium (my son's, 2c/2t) made some slowdowns noticeable. But with more cores/threads on newer systems these days (and especially that 3950x beast you have!) you definitely wouldn't see any problems with PhysX if it was being done in CPU.

Oct 14, 2020

Thanks for the suggestion and discussion so far. I’m also happy to know the Nvidia alternative for the GPU as my brother can be a brand-fanboy sometimes. Is there an Intel equivalent to the CPU also? (Probably that would need a change of mainboard?)

Would he be able to reuse the WLAN-card? are there specifications, I need to look out for?

Intel + Nvidia...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor | €247.99 @ Mindfactory
CPU Cooler | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler | €48.89 @ Alza
Motherboard | Gigabyte Z490M Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | €110.00 @ Amazon Deutschland
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | €56.90 @ Amazon Deutschland
Storage | Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | €57.99 @ Amazon Deutschland
Video Card | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC BLACK GAMING Video Card | €399.00 @ Amazon Deutschland
Case | Zalman S2 ATX Mid Tower Case | €38.89 @ Alza
Power Supply | Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | €69.29 @ Amazon Deutschland
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | €1028.95
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-14 19:24 CEST+0200 |

Solution