Question A GPU Strange Issue...

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Greetings!

Weird issue I experienced, one I've never encountered before. I purchased a used Sapphire Vega 56 off Ebay. Installed it and it worked just fine for 2 weeks. A few days ago, I restarted my computer and suddenly the motherboard (Asus Strix B350-F) is throwing a debug light for the GPU and won't boot. Weird, cause I was literally just gaming on it. Restarted, reseated, did all the usual troubleshooting steps with no luck. However, if I reset the CMOS, it suddenly worked again...until I restarted and it would throw the GPU debug again and not boot. I got into Windows and did more gaming on it with no problem...until I shut down the PC and it threw the debug again. Any thoughts on this?

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You could try a BIOS update if you're not on the latest, but I doubt this may help. If you still have the old GPU and you don't have this problem with that, then there's something wrong with the Vega 56 that probably can't be fixed.
Yeah, it already had the latest BIOS. I did switch back to my old GPU (1050 Ti 😒) and it's working fine. I was just hoping someone would suggest a fix because I didn't want to go back to the 1050 😂

Also yeah, since you bought it on eBay, issuing a dispute sooner than later will help and eBay tends to favor the buyer over the seller in terms of disputes. However I would document everything you can. Like take videos of you showing the old video card works fine, but the new one doesn't.

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I want to thank everyone for your help! I got a new CPU and power supply since I originally posted (Ryzen 5 5600X and Corsair RM750x) and the Vega seems to be working just fine now...I'm thinking my old power supply (Enermax MarbleBron 650) wasn't providing enough power, but I don't know. Again, thank you all!