A heat concern

Bi11hi11y

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
I want to build a mini itx system with a GTX 1070 in it. Will it overheat? If not, how hot can I expect it to run? Thanks!

://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Bi11hi11y/saved/VFWXLk

Solution

No if you create a proper airflow, but in your case you are choosing a sound dampering case, usually they are not the best options for cooling and the default fans for the case (one front after a closed cover and one aft) are not the best. i would change the front fan to a botton fan and add one or two upper fans.

Btw i would also switch the Sata SSD for a M.2 SSD.

You could expect more or less 35-40º over ambient for the GPU and the CPU on full load.

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

No if you create a proper airflow, but in your case you are choosing a sound dampering case, usually they are not the best options for cooling and the default fans for the case (one front after a closed cover and one aft) are not the best. i would change the front fan to a botton fan and add one or two upper fans.

Btw i would also switch the Sata SSD for a M.2 SSD.

You could expect more or less 35-40º over ambient for the GPU and the CPU on full load.

Solution

Bi11hi11y

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

Would I be able to get away with 2 140mm fans in the front and 1 120mm fan in the back?

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

I have no previous experience with this case in particular but i allways have restricted airflow with fans that are behind a solid surface.

I would even try before that three exaust fans (one back and two upper) to create a negative preassure airflow.