A horrible Disease.

G

AMD needs to get it into their heads that VIA will only destroy them in the long run. Look at how much negativity AMD is taking already. VIA is like a disgusting disease, the only cure for AMD is to cut off the limb that it has infected.

Relax, its only ONES and ZEROS!

G

Well AMD really needs to mass produce their chipset, if VIA stopped making mobos for AMD then that would be alot less AMD comps at home. AMD chipsets may be more stable, but if you look around you'll find that about 1/10 of all the boards out there dont run AMD. They first need to establish their own in the chipset business.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would think that VIA's C3, a socket 370 compatible chip, which will compete with Duron in the low end market, has opened AMD's eyes. A shortage of Athlon based chipsets could help push the C3. If it is obvious to us, it is obvious to AMD.

It will be interesting to see how the Nvidia chipset and partnership with AMD affects VIA's relationship with AMD.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

ok, I do admit that your chances of getting a good Athlon motherboard using AMD' 760 chipset is better then VIA's offerings, but about 1% (guesstimate) of all Athlon motherboards use AMD's 760 Chipset, pretty slim pickings if you ask me. Out that percentage a vast majority of those motherboards use VIA's sub-par 686B south bridge chipset. So instead of getting a totally flakey motherboard you’re getting a half-way flakey motherboard. On top of that, AMD 760 motherboards are usually more expensive. Did I miss anything?

Relax, its only ONES and ZEROS!

G

your ( vodwar )

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

Skynet

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Everett6 you missed alot of things, not the least of which is the LAST BOAT to unbiased, intelligent conversation. Have you ever even SEEN or used a VIA/T-Bird rig? You bash AMD and VIA all over the place like they are less reliable than an Intel Pentium 1.13 gig still-born CPU.

Start talking real. Yes AMD has a problem relying so heavily on third-party chip makers. We all know this. The VIA chipsets are not perfect, but they sure as hell run sweet for alot of people out there. By your logic (if you can call it logic) there are millions of hapless AMD users that have nothing but crashes, bugs, headaches, and according to you probably AIDS. WTF is your problem?

Are you so insecure that you MUST believe Intel systems are clad in gold and more reliable than a $hit brick house? Intel has been caught masterbating with their collective pants down, and now AMD is making them pay the piper uncle bingo. And we will all be better for it. The next P4 will be a much better CPU, the next Athlon will be faster, smaller, and cheaper. Everyone wins.

You blame AMD for so many ills and problems, but in all actuallity it is AMD that has FORCED Intel to take their thumbs out of their a$$es and start in innovate again.

Remember I OWN several Intel and AMD systems, and I like them both. My primary system in a T-Bird because it is faster, cheaper, perfectly stable, and satisfying to use. Is this bias? Of course it is, it is bias towards the better running system, not a brand name, idea, or security blanket.

G

Remember AMD is currently working with NVidia to make chipsets. So they are not blind to the issues with Via..

<font color=blue>The #1 reason to upgrade your PC - to run faster benchmarks...</font color=blue>

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"On top of that, AMD 760 motherboards are usually more expensive. Did I miss anything?"

Well all I can say is don't judge something you don't use. Intel chips are always more expensive. Did I miss something?

G

<<<You bash AMD and VIA all over the place like they are less reliable than an Intel Pentium 1.13 gig still-born CPU.>>>

could you enlighten me by telling me how many 1.13ghz p3 systems are in use compared to the number of and/via systems.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm... will you babies please stop crying. Wow guess what i dont care. My P3 733 runs any program just fine. OMG under a 1ghz thats right. A p2 300 can run almost any program out there.

The only nice Intel guy.

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Well, last I checkd, those 1.13 P3s were DOA and recalled, seeing as they were unstable and unreliable. As for the AMD/VIA combo, there are a hell of a lot out there, and the majority of people I talk to love their systems. Only some people out there have serious problems, and even those are typically fixable (well, I guess the DMA corruption one isn't, at least so far). Plus, if I remember correctly, many of those bugs and problems are not caused by the chipset so much as the motherboard makers rushing an unfinished/untested product out the door.

-SammyBoy

Without Evil, there can be no Good. Therefore, without an Intel, there can be no AMD.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
at the risk of incurring flames.. and I am totally uncommitted to either chip.. most of the posts asking for help, fixes etc in the forums here regarding cpu's and MOBO's are for AMD \ VIA configurations...
Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>