a: just wont work :(

G

Recently my a: drive hasn't been working lately. If i click on the a: drive it'll hang or i'll barely be able to move my mouse every 10 seconds, bluescreens etc. I went to one troubleshooter and it said something about it being MS-DOS floppy disk? I even bought a new one and get the same [-peep-]. Wont boot on startup if i put it in there, it reads it sometimes, but never does anything. In linux if i copy a file to /dev/fd0 (a:), it'll give me an error about the drive. Both of them dont work, so i dont think it's the drive itself. Bios settings are correct even though it shows my a: as being a 5 1/2 old version b: drive instead. I have b: disabled in bios. Is it something with the ms-dos mode? Oh, I tried a different cable wiring as well. Everything else works fine. It's all connected right. Anyone got suggestions

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
If your BIOS shows a: as a 5.25" drive (is that what you meant?) then change it to 3.5", apologies if I misunderstood your post.

It is possible your Floppy Drive Controller is duff, I had that fault on an Aopen board with similar symptoms to yours.