News A keyboard enthusiast built a $3,400 electro-capacitive keyboard that supposedly gets rid of stabilizer noise

HaninTH

Proper
Oct 3, 2023
I found a much easier way to get rid of stabilizer rattle... Just don't use any. Ortholinear keyboards where every key is only 1U means no stabilizers to deal with. It is a "non-standard" layout and there is some adjustment to it but not having to even think about stabilizers for the last 8 years or so has been very nice.
Do they make any that aren't designed for Minimalist? All of the ones I have seen have all of the extra keys, an office user needs, removed. And should I also assume that ergonomic form factors are out with this layout?

The noise from my keyboard is nothing in comparison to my office peers and everything else in my life. I really do not understand this. Ear plugs are far cheaper?

Do they make any that aren't designed for Minimalist? All of the ones I have seen have all of the extra keys, an office user needs, removed. And should I also assume that ergonomic form factors are out with this layout?
Whenever they drop things like that, it's because it makes production cheaper and they make more money. I personally would never buy a keyboard that wasn't at least a full 104-key setup.
The noise from my keyboard is nothing in comparison to my office peers and everything else in my life. I really do not understand this. Ear plugs are far cheaper?
Yeah, but it's pretty clear that this keyboard is for people with lots of money but not enough sense to question the term "Retro-Futuristic". :ROFLMAO:

May 1, 2024

nuphy makes quite a few keyboards with ghost keyboards with no rattle. They're a bit on the expensive side at just under $200 but they're not 3500 expensive

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021

There's the BFO keyboard which is a grid of 6 rows by 18 columns or 108 keys in total. That's enough to do a full sized keyboard without loosing any keys and having them mostly in the same place. But personally, one of the advantages of ortho is that the number row makes a lot more sense making it easier to use with it not being offset awkwardly. So I don't see any need for a num pad with an ortho keyboard. If all you do is enter numbers, then yeah, a numpad is useful. But I can enter in numbers plenty fast. And with plenty of keys to define a function layer, the function row keys can easily be placed on the number row where F2 = Fn+2 and so on. So yes, most ortho keyboards are smaller-er at least because once you get used to it, you find it's easier and makes sense to not have those extra keys.

But you don't have to jump right into a 40% Planck keyboard which maybe what a lot of people think about when they here ortho. I started with an Atomic keyboard which has 75 keys and is mostly like a 65% layout where you remove the function row and number pad but keep everything else. But once I got used to using layers for some some things, I found I didn't need that much and moved to a Preonic sized keyboard. I currently have 71 keys and that's enough to do everything I need. And my keyboard is balanced in that I have the same number of keys for both my left and right hand. Standard keyboard put a lot of extra stuff for the right had to do which tends to require moving around a lot instead of staying on home row.

May 18, 2024
Keyboard enthusiast Ryan Norbauer has detailed the creation of "the ultimate keyboard" — at least in his eyes. After five years of development and difficult manufacturing hurdles, it's nearly ready. And it can be yours this summer, assuming you're willing to part with "around $3,400."

A keyboard enthusiast built a $3,400 electro-capacitive keyboard that supposedly gets rid of stabilizer noise : Read more
I use a steelseries keyboard a friend pulled out of a dumpster that had a few sticky keys that I roll over on a dolly and use a winch to put it in my lap. What key stabilizer noise?

slightnitpick

Upstanding
Nov 2, 2023
Home use when someone else is sleeping. Even the softest and smallest earplugs that still work can be difficult to sleep in constantly.