A little confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiden2k13

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I was reading the update portion (Link) and I have a query that will Win 10 be completely free if someone gets it in the first year ? I mean what if the user does not pay after 1 year ? will he still be able to use it ?
I do have legit Win 8.1 Pro x64.
If someone clears the confusion, I will be very glad.

Solution
If you upgrade in the first year you will have the OS for the life of the computer (or for life, if it's a retail license).

You will not have to pay after a year.

thegummy

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
If you upgrade in the first year you will have the OS for the life of the computer (or for life, if it's a retail license).

You will not have to pay after a year.

Solution

Aiden2k13

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

WoW. Thats preety good. I wonder how MS will earn revenue from Win 10 :p

Dogsnake

Distinguished
As of now Win 10 will be offered free as an upgrade for 1 year from it's release to current legit users of Win 7/8/8.1 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about). After the year you might expect to have to pay for the software if you want it. The link I gave you also makes clear that the upgrade will be "patched" and maintained for the life of the software and system it is installed on.

Aiden2k13

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

Hmm. So its like they are giving 1 year of full free trial . Good way for business. I would have bought Win 10 regardless of this one year thing because I am satisfied with my legit Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 is more good as per my friends who are using the preview version.

thegummy

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015

The language used is misleading. It is not a free trial; if you upgrade in that first year you get Windows 10 free for the life of the PC.

You would only have to pay if you hadn't already upgraded during that year period. That is if they decide to introduce a price after that.

Regarding your question about how MS will make money - one idea is that they will want to get everyone onto the Windows store so they can sell them further software but also I would guess that most copies of Windows sold are for new PCs rather than consumers buying upgrades so they will still make plenty from the OS.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
They are giving the new OS as an upgrade for the first year of it's release. From what they say there will be no additional charges for patches for the life of the installation. This is not a trial. MS will save more by not having to service three older Windows versions than the cost to give the new OS to existing users. Anyway no need to worry about how they will make money. If you want the new MS is giving you about a year to upgrade. After that you will pay.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Adding to that you will get free OS updates for the life of the PC you install it on. You will get free updates even if you don't purchase in a year then decide to purchase you will pay that one time cost and still get free updates.

SO once you get to Windows 10 you won't have to pay again on the same computer.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well since the 80's MS has basically been a software company. When apple started they were a hardware company and still are. The difference is Apple makes software to support their hardware. MS licenses it's software to OEM's to make hardware. Recently MS released basically 2 tablets. Their goal was to attack the MBP with the Surface PRO and the IPAD with the Surface RT. Well the RT failed badly probably because it attempted to attack Apple head on with Modern apps which the IPAD has millions. MS released the Surface and raised some eyebrows so they announce this week a Surface 3 with less power processor and tad bit smaller but can run the Windows legacy desktop apps and selling for almost half the price. They are attempting to become a hardware compant they are attemping to make it part of their business. MS was been selling Server OS's since the late 90's. They have SQL database software and they have programs for enterprises. MS is getting into the cloud as a service and using Window to get people to purchase cloud services. They are planning on adding photo software that organizes your pictures in the cloud and can be shared by all devices. The also plan to do this with music and videos also. They are putting an extra push into Bing also. I remember back in the beginning of the non-text internet when Netscape was the giant in browser technology. MS came out with IE and gave it away for free. Netscape began to tumble and it moved to the open source world and Firefox sprang from Netscape. MS just wants to make sure that thy keep over 90% of the PC's with windows and they will provide services that run in the 90% market.

Status
Not open for further replies.