A long series of problems starting with replacing a video card

Landon Ledbetter

Honorable
May 21, 2013
I have been having one problem after another.

This is my setup, except for the video card, which is now a Sapphire Radeon RX 580 (as described below): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/landonledbetter/saved/#view=mkNQzy

I started having issues where games would lock up and the system would crash. Eventually, the computer wouldn't even boot, and red lines showed up on the BIOS screen. I tested with a friends old video card, and the computer booted up, no problem, so I replaced the video card (Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3gb) with a new one (EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 6gb).

When I booted up Final Fantasy XV (which had been running fine on my older card) with this new card, it was stuttering very frequently and crashing every 5-10 minutes, including BSODs. Sometimes I would even get loops, where the system would crash while booting up Windows or while signing in. I used DDU to uninstall all old drivers and reinstall several times. Every other game seemed to be fine--no stuttering, although I did get a BSOD while playing Hearthstone at one point (while validating files for FFXV). I tried reinstalling FFXV, started a new game file. No better.

So I took what seemed the most obvious solution--that the new piece of hardware was the issue--returned the video card and got a new one (Sapphire Radeon RX 580). No change whatsoever.

I checked all the crash dumps I could, found that some appeared to be caused by scpvbus.sys, which I used to make by PS3 controller usable on the PC. I thoroughly removed the driver and tried again with mouse and keyboard. No change.

During this time, these are the BSODs I got:

apc_index_mismatch
irql_not_less_or_equal
system_service_exception (while playing HS and validating FFXV)
system_thread_exception_not_handled (on reboot, at the login screen)
kmode_exception_not_handled (on reboot, while attempting to run WhoCrashed)
system_exit_owned_mutex (on reboot, Windows load screen)
driver_verifier_iomanager_violation
cache_manager
clock_watchdog_timeout
dpc_watchdog_violation

I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and chkdsk. Both came back clean, although one or both--sorry, I don't recall which--did crash multiple times before completing successfully.

I attempted to refresh Windows, and that failed multiple times without it giving any further explanation.

I formatted the HD using Seagate software, chose the most thorough formatting option. Reinstalled Windows 10 from an installation DVD. Now my Wi-Fi connection drops out every minute or so. I can run the troubleshooter to get it working for another minute or so then it cuts out again. (The troubleshooter gives one or two of three reasons each time: a general "Problem with wireless adapter or access point," "The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken," and/or "Wi-Fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration." My IP configuration is DHCP Auto.) I am connected to the router during these times, but not to the internet. All my other devices are having no problems. I have reseated the Wi-Fi card. I have updated the drivers. I have uninstalled the device and reinstalled the drivers. No change.

I tried a Windows refresh again, choosing to wipe out all personal files, etc., and it was successful this time. No change however to the Wi-Fi situation.

Then, while using Chrome to search for solutions, I had a BSOD: attempted_to_write_to_readonly_memory. Then, while logging back into Windows, another: system_thread_exception_not_handled. Then, after rebooting and logging into Windows, another: system_service_exception.

I am kind of at the end of my rope here. It seems like a hardware problem to me--considering I completely reformatted the computer and am still having similar issues and more--but I'm at a loss as to what piece.

Sorry for all the text. Thanks for any help you can offer, and please let me know if I can answer any questions to help narrow it down.

(Due to the network issues, I have not been able to redownload FFXV to test whether that issue persists.)

Landon Ledbetter

Honorable
May 21, 2013

Yeah, after formatting, I booted from a DVD made with Windows Media Creation tool to reinstall Windows 10.

Landon Ledbetter

Honorable
May 21, 2013
The BIOS did need updating, so good call there. Unfortunately, it did not fix the network connectivity issue. I don't know whether it fixed the performance of FFXV (since I can't dl it at present) or the BSODs (since I haven't found a way to reliably replicate them).

Any way a layman can test the VRM?