a lot of help needed with setup!!

GoldenGamerUK

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2013
DISCLAIMER: I am sorry for all the people that see this post and have noticed they have helped me out in the past, I am a very indecisive person and change my mind quite frequently...

hello people of toms hardware!!
what I need your help with today (read above) is just a lot of help in general with my whole computer setup, I plan to become a content creator for YouTube over the next few years... yes... typical 12 year old thread (even though I'm 16 with ASD)

I'm in need of a complete setup for this profession, and I also plan to become a games developer within my lifetime, I'm stuck between what I should do, get a mid tier PC, and buy a iMac for editing as I've heard they are very good at doing that sort of thing (plus it can serve as a secondary PC if my main rig goes tits up or my brother wants to play minecraft (only game he is allowed to play..) with me, I'm also going to need a capture card that can be used on the xbox 360 as I do plan to do livestreams with my friends on twitch/YouTube, thing is I don't know what to do, if you have a headache from reading this, this should help a fair bit;

mid tier gaming PC and iMac or a monster top spec gaming PC with two monitors?

also, with this, I'm going to need a good capture card, unless I can get a avermedia inbuilt into to PC, I'm also going to need to get a good/decent mic, a keyboard that you would recommend to a stranger your that happy with it, and also a minimalisic palm grip mouse.

if you think about the tank for a PC, no watercooling, silent fans, extreme wireless adaptor (thick brick walls...) I have no problem with parts chosen excluding ones mentioned above, I also need this computer to do some extreme rendering as I will be doing lots of rendering/uploading for friends (I'll get a % of their income!!) thanks again guys!!

feel free to ask me more questions if need be!

TheIcedCanadian

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014

I was just thinking if you were to get a high end mac and high end pc, it would be around £3600

Macs are fantastic computers - they look great, perform well and are good for video editing. Howvever, they are very expensive. For what you are doing, if you wanted a mac the pc would have to be of an OK standard (not good enough for me :p :D)
Example - the second cheapest mac with 16GB of RAM is £1200!!!

Here is what I would recommend:
(I am not sure if you currently have monitors, but I would reccomend, with these GPUS, a 3 monitor display with a 1440p in the middle (main monitor) and 1080p on the sides (need more power and much more expensive to get full tri-monitor 1440p.)

The PSU and motherboard both have room for another GPU, allowing you to go three way SLI in the future.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£244.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£84.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£169.98 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£106.40 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£261.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£261.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case (£87.13 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£73.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.46 @ Aria PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.35 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: BenQ BL2710PT 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (£348.60 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: BenQ GL2450HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor (£113.99 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: BenQ GL2450HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor (£113.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £2003.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-03 03:21 GMT+0000

GoldenGamerUK

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2013
taking your parts list, I've made it a base for a start (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/z9TDMp)

I probably won't even need sli as I've heard there can be scaling errors, and sli can sometimes decrease performance, and as for monitors, I've got a 23" led ips monitor , and probably for a second monitor I'll go with the aoc g2460pg 24" gsync 144Hz 1ms led monitor, I can't stand two different size monitors, eg 23" + 27" so I chose 24", I'll probably use my ips as a standard second monitor, basically stuff that isn't games.

TheIcedCanadian

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014

GTX 970 SLI is fine and cannot decrease performance. It is the same price as a GTX 980, as performs MUCH MUCH better.