[SOLVED] A motherboard is a motherboard. No?

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
Im looking to build a PC with the Ryzen 3900X. Im lookin at boards right now on newegg. I will be using an X570 board. I don't have a problem spending a little extra cash. But I mean like... some are $250, upwards of $600+ . Whats the real difference in performance? They all support DDR42133-4600. They all supported Ryzen 3000 CPUs. They all have PCI4.0 They all have m.2 slots. They all have basically all the same specs or at least very close. Whats the difference between a $250 board vs a $600 board. Perhaps the $600 board has a couple of extra PCIe slots. But besides that, just in terms of how they function, whats the real difference that justifies some being 2x+ the price of others?????? Like.... How am I going to benefit from buying a $600 board vs. one for $250? What are the realistic price-influencing differences?

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
One factor to look at are the VRMs which regulates the power delivery, I believe. The further up the stack overclocking features tend to be of more importance for customers.

What do you mean by "VRM" and how do I find that ? and what specifically am I looking for? As for OCing, I don't care about that. I plan on running everything complete stock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator_module

You find out by reading or watching reviews of the products. Buildzoid does a lot of motherboard analysis, so you can check out his analysis on Youtube.

You don't have to be an extreme overclocker to benefit. As alluded to it's a matter of quality. We've seen the old FX-9590 CPUs thermal throttling on a lot of motherboards because their VRMs weren't sufficient to run the CPU, despite the CPU being officially compatible. What you'll see is overheating, thermal throttling, and thus poor running of a system.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator_module

You find out by reading or watching reviews of the products. Buildzoid does a lot of motherboard analysis, so you can check out his analysis on Youtube.

You don't have to be an extreme overclocker to benefit. As alluded to it's a matter of quality. We've seen the old FX-9590 CPUs thermal throttling on a lot of motherboards because their VRMs weren't sufficient to run the CPU, despite the CPU being officially compatible. What you'll see is overheating, thermal throttling, and thus poor running of a system.

Ok. So a couple of things. It sounds to me like if these CPUs are compatible, yet their VRMs aren't sufficient to run the CPU as you said, then I guess that CPU wasn't so "compatible" afterall. Does the board makers not make their boards fully compatibile with all CPUs which will use that socket? Also, is there any VRM rating spec on any of these boards? Or how do I find out what the VRM is on each board? If it doesnt display, how the hell am I going to know?

As I mentioned, check reviews. I wouldn't be able to tell one from another either, so I rely on reviews to get the information.

As for fully compatible.... depends how much a motherboard manufacturer can anticipate things. BIOS updates are typically required for new CPUs released. So arguably a motherboard isn't 'fully compatible' with the CPUs for the same socket. A320 motherboards won't be receiving BIOS updates for the Ryzen 3000 series from what I've read. Most of the 300-series motherboards (or perhaps all) will receive BIOS updates for Ryzen 3000 compatibility. How well these older motherboards can handle the new CPUs remains unknown.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
As I mentioned, check reviews. I wouldn't be able to tell one from another either, so I rely on reviews to get the information.

As for fully compatible.... depends how much a motherboard manufacturer can anticipate things. BIOS updates are typically required for new CPUs released. So arguably a motherboard isn't 'fully compatible' with the CPUs for the same socket. A320 motherboards won't be receiving BIOS updates for the Ryzen 3000 series from what I've read. Most of the 300-series motherboards (or perhaps all) will receive BIOS updates for Ryzen 3000 compatibility. How well these older motherboards can handle the new CPUs remains unknown.

Ok, and this is the part where Im confused... more specifically with "How well these older motherboards can handle the new CPUs remains unknown". There has to be some kind of statistic/spec to guage that before buying. I mean.... it shouldn't just be trial and error. I mean.... I would think these mobo companies would be building these boards to support all CPUs (after BIOS update) at stock without OC. OC is a different story. But X570 was built with Ryzen 3000 already in mind. So I don't understand why a certain VRM would be needed, and I still don't know how to find this information. I don't want to spend $250 on a board and regret it because my CPU isn't "compatible", but I don't want to spend $600 for no reason.

Ok. So a couple of things. It sounds to me like if these CPUs are compatible, yet their VRMs aren't sufficient to run the CPU as you said, then I guess that CPU wasn't so "compatible" afterall. Does the board makers not make their boards fully compatibile with all CPUs which will use that socket? Also, is there any VRM rating spec on any of these boards? Or how do I find out what the VRM is on each board? If it doesnt display, how the hell am I going to know?
You're reading too much into it.
All boards will work perfectly fine
Some will overclock better than others - that's about it regarding power.
As for why there is a huge disparity on prices, no one will know until FULL specs are released reviewed, and right now, they are not.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
You're reading too much into it.
All boards will work perfectly fine
Some will overclock better than others - that's about it regarding power.
As for why there is a huge disparity on prices, no one will know until FULL specs are released, and right now, they are not.
Yes they are. I'm on newegg right now and theres like 30 boards I can choose from with full specs