Question A motherboard which cuts off both internal and external components?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I have had a serious issue with my Gigabyte Aeros Z390 Pro for a couple of months. What happens is that the board started cutting to certain devices. First it was the bluetooth part of the pci-e wifi/BT card. Meaning my BT devices keyboard would suddenly freeze. And only work if rebooted my machine, I then disabled ASPM in the bios and then they started working. Then a couple of months past, and everything worked. Then what happend is that during gaming on my RTX 2070, the machine would would die and reboot into the bios. Windows gave the issue
"Critical Process Died in Windows 10".

I reseated the graphics card, and changed the power cable from the PSU to the GPU. And then it started working. But yesterday the raid array of dual NVMEs 970 Evo plus just broke, and it gave again critical process Died in Windows. I reseted the NVMEs and suddely both came back but can't recreate the raid array again. I have noticed two bend pins in the USB 3.0 board connector (which is unused), and they look to only touch the plastic of the connector and not the mainboard.

So my question here to to you guys is.

Is it the bend pins in the unused USB 3.0 connector which is causing havock?

System is as follows.

Aeros Z390 Pro from Gigabyte.
Intel i9 9900k
2 x Samsung 970 Evo 1 tb
RTX 2070 evo from Asus 8 GB
Noctua NS-D15
Fractal define 7 case
Asus PCE-Ax3000
Corsair RM 750, 750 W which is less than a year old, no dust and works normal.

Windows 10 latest build and all latest drivers and bios version.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Doubt that the issues is the pins. Carefully straighten the bent USB 3.0 connector pins just as a matter of elimination.

As for the drives - why are you using RAID? Is there a specific reason for doing so?

Unlikely that NVME RAID gains any meaningful performance.

Just unnecessarily complicates matters for the most part.

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Doubt that the issues is the pins. Carefully straighten the bent USB 3.0 connector pins just as a matter of elimination.

As for the drives - why are you using RAID? Is there a specific reason for doing so?

Unlikely that NVME RAID gains any meaningful performance.

Just unnecessarily complicates matters for the most part.

There have updated my post :)

Ralston18

Titan
Even though the PSU is less than a year old I would not exclude it as the source of the problem.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the freezes.

You can click any given error for more details - especially and error code number. The details may or may not be helpful.

However, growing numbers of errors and varying errors could indicate a problem PSU.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris in general (not just the PSU) as necessary.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect all around inside the case for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, browned or blackened components. Kinked or pinched wires. Look for loose screws - gently tighten as necessary.

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Even though the PSU is less than a year old I would not exclude it as the source of the problem.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the freezes.

You can click any given error for more details - especially and error code number. The details may or may not be helpful.

However, growing numbers of errors and varying errors could indicate a problem PSU.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris in general (not just the PSU) as necessary.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect all around inside the case for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, browned or blackened components. Kinked or pinched wires. Look for loose screws - gently tighten as necessary.
Besides the stuff about GPU power connected which I thought I fixed, only issue is that the GPU hangs a bit even though its inserted into the x 16 slot. Could that be an issue too?

Ralston18

Titan
"that the GPU hangs a bit "

Physically hanging? As in perhaps sagging or drooping?

Yes that could be a problem as the GPU is more likely to move with temperature related expansion/contraction. Or changes in air flows from fans and fan speed changes. Movement of any sort impacts connectivity.

= = = =

Or if by "hangs a bit" you mean not immediate starting/launching (software) then you would need to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine what the system is doing (or trying to do) during that time.

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
"that the GPU hangs a bit "

Physically hanging? As in perhaps sagging or drooping?

Yes that could be a problem as the GPU is more likely to move with temperature related expansion/contraction. Or changes in air flows from fans and fan speed changes. Movement of any sort impacts connectivity.

= = = =

Or if by "hangs a bit" you mean not immediate starting/launching (software) then you would need to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine what the system is doing (or trying to do) during that time.

Card physically tilts 1- 5 degree towards in the slot.

Ralston18

Titan
Try re-seating to ensure that the GPU is fully and firmly latched into place.

Do what you can to square the GPU up (no tilt) - maybe gently tighten the screw a bit.

Or look into additional support - a bracket perhaps.

If anything that will eliminate one potential source of the problem.