Question A new 4TB HDD slowing down Windows 10, but not linux boot

Jul 22, 2022
So, I have purchased a 4TB Seagate Barracuda Pro to replace a few 1TB HDDs I have.

I figured I would also have a fresh install of Windows while I'm at it.

And I have noticed that if I have the 4TB HDD plugged into my system, while Windows is booting from an SSD (and the boot manager is on the same SSD), my boot time goes from ~20 sec to 3-5mins. This is wild to me, since I have a linux install (my main OS) that still has the ~20 sec boot (from another SSD) even when that 4TB HDD is plugged in. Everytime I'm booting the two systems right now, I'm physically swapping the SSDs around since I currently lack SATA ports/cables until I move some data from those 1TB HDDs, so this is not a bootloader/boot order issue (HDDs are always last for me in BIOS.

When I wait out the Windows boot with the 4TB HDD plugged in, I don't see the HDD in Explorer/Disk Management, and in fact, Disk Management just hangs (forever I assume since I gave up after 10 mins).

I'm using the GPT table on the HDD.

Now, I've tried :
  • Having the disk plugged in without any partition created on it (maybe linux made the NTFS partition in a weird to Windows way). Still same bootup time.
  • Make a BTRFS partition on it, which windows shouldn't be able to read - similar to my EXT4 experience with Windows, but still the big bootup time.

Now, I need to have windows as a secondary OS, that I sometimes use for a few select programs. This is a fresh windows 10 install, so the issue must be with the way Windows boots up, since Linux is unaffected and can use and write to that HDD no problem.

Is there a way to fix this? To get windows to not take 5mins to boot up with the HDD connected?
And if not, I'm fine with Windows not having access to the HDD, just as long as I don't have to open my pc up everytime and unplug the sata cable from this HDD to have windows bootup quickly. Is there a way to make this drive invisible to Windows from the boot up sequence? It would already be unmountable if I use a partition type windows doesn't support, but doing this still causes the huge delay in bootup time.

Many thanks to anyone willing to help. If you have any debugging I could do to figure out what is causing this, I'd be willing to try as its a fresh install, and the HDD still hasn't had any data moved to it since I caught this issue early on.

And if not, I'm fine with Windows not having access to the HDD, just as long as I don't have to open my pc up everytime and unplug the sata cable from this HDD to have windows bootup quickly. Is there a way to make this drive invisible to Windows from the boot up sequence? It would already be unmountable if I use a partition type windows doesn't support, but doing this still causes the huge delay in bootup time.
You can disable specific sata port in BIOS.