A New and Improved Windows 7 Upgrade Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
i'm just going to keep enjoying vista until I buy a new PC. I don't want to spend $50-$100 on whats just a few improvements on Vista. please prove to me what drastic changes you saw from Vista of right now to Windows 7.

starsurfer56

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Any benefits to doing a clean install vs. upgrade when going from vista ultimate64 to win7 ultimate 64? other than just keeping my files...

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
No mention on upgrading from EE to any version... :( gonna have to do some digging.

Either way I'm likely going from 32bit Vista to 64bit on 7, so clean install is required, but I have a few other machines I'll likely upgrade from Vista or XP to Premium ed of 7.

Fortunately, I'm an action pack subscriber, so I get Windows 7, Office 2010, and more (10 copies of each, 1 copy of Ultimate) for free :D

That $300 a year is REALLY paying off...

ozric

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
According to the chart, a Windows Vista user will not be able to do a clean install to Windows 7 Ultimate, Is this the case ? Will there be an option to install either way for Ultimate users ?

Firehead2k

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
"complicated and convoluted" vs. "infinitely more sensible and readable"
Seriously, wtf. Did you actually take a look at the original and the derivative? The difference is the derivative doesn't make a distinction between 32bit and 64it Versions, and clusters the blocks together.
Thats it.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
fresh install for me, don't know the differences between the editions....anyone have an article discussing this?
i'm going 64 bit for sure though...use all my ram for once

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I was going to get Win7 Pro. But now thats its a clean install from vista ultimate I may have to go win7 ultimate. Good thing my friends brother in law works for them.

G

My upgrade path is even more simple, no chart required: Leopard -> Snow Leopard. $30.

greenspoon

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
The chart from Microsoft is not only easy to read, but contain more information. Anyone that has trouble reading it needs to go back to Math 101 and learn how to read charts.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
It's not improved. I'm still required to re-install, erm, "Custom Install" if going from Vista Ultimate to Professional. The forced loss in customers productivity caused by this in simply inane on Microsoft's part. Plus, the "teaching Moment" in all this is that I'm paying an extra penalty for allowing myself to get duped into getting Ultimate in the first place.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]i'm just going to keep enjoying vista until I buy a new PC. I don't want to spend $50-$100 on whats just a few improvements on Vista. please prove to me what drastic changes you saw from Vista of right now to Windows 7.[/citation]

ummm what i saw is EVERYTHING, I MEAN EVERYTHING... runs faster and smoother, oh and not to mention no crashes or bloat... but you go ahead the way you are.... i so love computer iliterate uneducated people talking like they know their stuff.... but i guess you havent read one of the many of thousands of articles about how much better win 7 is...especially in 64 bit

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]VioMeTriX[/nom]ummm what i saw is EVERYTHING, I MEAN EVERYTHING... runs faster and smoother, oh and not to mention no crashes or bloat... but you go ahead the way you are.... i so love computer iliterate uneducated people talking like they know their stuff.... but i guess you havent read one of the many of thousands of articles about how much better win 7 is...especially in 64 bit[/citation]

yet you don't cite these articles. i have win7 RC on my laptop. does everything the same as vista with the exception of using 25% less memory. vista hasn't crashed on me. runs fast and smooth. please fanboy go elsewhere. insane how new users come on TH and say a person is computer illiterate even if they hate or like vista.

G

I keep on using my XP,and only buy a new pc when 7 is out and working on them!
But for now XP is good enough for my notebook, not to mention some devices I have are not yet compatible

G

the chart (revised) does contain information regarding 32-bit to 64-bit and vice versa. It contains EXACTLY the same information as the original chart, except with fewer boxes. Isn't this good?

evolve60

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I find it that the older chart was more informative and much easier to read then this one, the revised version give no detail what-so-ever on all the upgrade paths.

seinfeld1123

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
even tho I am buying an upgrade I still want to be able to do a complete clean install from a formatted drive, vista was crap with the upgrade you could do it but you had to install it twice and was just a big F' around
the old win 95 and Xp was great all it wanted was for you to put the disk in of the older windows just to verify you had a copy,I understand ppl were just borowing their friends disks etc and getting a cheaper product.So I understand to an extent why they scraped it. however it was the most user friendly OS installs there ever was!
But there is a way to bring it back. Microsoft..... Listen please for once in your life!
I propose the install be the same since w98- XP etc you insert the new windows 7,it boots up, and says its ready to go. DinG! this is update product, please provide evidence of a previous MS product. so put in your xp disc, then remove XP disk and put 7 back in And install as normal,so its installed you are in the windows OS now first time bootup then when it comes time to activate, you have to have a previous windows which you have from the start up you put the disk in, and have that key ready. So you type in the XP key hit enter it talks to big brother and may take a minute, Once that's verified, it then asks you for the Windows 7 key just type as normal, and then activate.

Thanks Microsoft Im here all week if you would like to employ someone who is
A. human and uses your products every day.
B. Really hates the current WGA and anti piracy, 'BUT" Understands steps need to be taken to minimize piracy
C. Im a little upset the people have to pay for Win 7 as it is really what VISTA SHOULD HAVE BEEN. But if it addresses alot of issues then ill be ok, I wont like it I had to pay 400 buks for a proper service pack, but if some miracle happens then ill just have to bite my tounge

Status
Not open for further replies.