A New Frontier For Far Cry: Four Hours With 'Far Cry Primal'

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoned_ritual

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
This is more of the same far cry, with a different setting, and a tacked on settlement building mechanic a la fallout 4. I was excited for this game until I read this article.

dstarr3

Distinguished
This is more of the same far cry, with a different setting, and a tacked on settlement building mechanic a la fallout 4. I was excited for this game until I read this article.

Blood Dragon was more of the same, but with a different setting and tone. And that was terrific. Sometimes that's all you need.

That being said, I'm still totally prepared for the possibility that this will be underwhelming. But, I think this still holds some promise.

I really hope this is the mark of the return to true single player experiences. IMHO, Splinter Cell's SP campaign suffered when they started adding MP. It didn't help matters that everyone was artificially constrained to a single DVD.

The trend started with shoe-horning MP into some great franchises. I'm really hoping they just make superb games designed for one or the other for the most part. Focus the efforts. It should go a long way toward having more stable releases, and just a better product overall. Micro-transactions would hopefully cover any perceived loss from a game that doesn't try to cater to everyone (but come up short in both areas).

dstarr3

Distinguished

Well, I think the biggest games leading the single-player charge right now are Wolfenstein and Shadow Warrior. SW2 coming out this year does have some co-op play integrated, but I've heard multiple times from them, including a Twitter conversation between me and the devs, that it's single-player first and foremost. It's also been leaked that a Wolfenstein sequel is coming down the pipeline, but literally all that's known at this point is that the voice actors are recording dialogue. But, W:NO was an incredibly solid single-player experience, and I'm certain a sequel would try to capitalize on that further.

Doom is coming. Which used to be the perfect single-player FPS experience. But they've since started adding multiplayer, and they are to this new one, as well, and that could very well be to the detriment of the new title. I kind of wish that they'd keep multiplayer to the Quake series only. Since we always get a new Quake with a new Doom, I'd be perfectly happy if every Doom was single-player only and every Quake had a multiplayer element. Or, really, a new Quake Arena game would be pretty good right about now.

Either way, yeah, single-player FPS is coming back in a big way. I hope the market keeps it up. Because the Shadow Warrior and Wolfenstein reboots were fantastic, and I want more of that.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
It seems like a lesser version of the previous far cry games.
The skill tree doesn't even allow you to craft a sniper rifle.

If you are stuck with basic weapons from the time period, then combat will become a chore, especially when grinding is involved.

It seems like a lesser version of the previous far cry games.
The skill tree doesn't even allow you to craft a sniper rifle.

If you are stuck with basic weapons from the time period, then combat will become a chore, especially when grinding is involved.

I think the animals are meant to be the replacement for weapons. The bear is probably the rocket launcher, while the cats are the assault rifles, etc.

Anyway, wouldn't it be kind of ironic if the artificial intelligence was improved and enhanced from the previous titles? hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.