A New PSU Fried My System, What Now?

johnnyvent

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
So, I got a Corsair psu, CX600 I think, and it effectively destroyed my system. I did some tests, A new mobo, new PSU, and I tried jumping, and have come to a firm conclusion, without the aid of another system I might add, that the old mobo and CPU at least are dead. It goes without saying that I'd like somebody to pay collateral. I've contacted Newegg, whom I purchased the PSU from, and they can't even RMA the board, and I can't get in contact with Corsair and even if I could I kind of doubt they'd do anything. What should I do now? Does anyone have relevant experience, Would Corsair at least replace my CPU? Is there anything else I can do? The PSU is still under warranty and the CPU was a Core i-3 3220, cheap, but they still cost money.

Solution
In the US, almost certainly not. The PSU maker will replace the PSU, but not any collateral parts that it may have killed.

Other countries have different laws regarding warranty and replacements.

How? It's very unusual for any PSU, even a really cheap one, to actually take out multiple pieces of hardware all of the sudden. Last few times I've heard this claim, the actual cause of failure was faulty VRs on the motherboard, used the wrong modular cables, plugged in a wrong connector, etc.

What exactly happened?

Why can't you get in contact with Corsair? They have a toll free number, forums and an online ticket system. They give you MULTIPLE ways to get a hold of them, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Why doubt before you try? Corsair does have a damage claim process... but don't expect them to take your word for it that a PSU took out your motherboard and CPU. They're going to want all of the parts back and will test them in house before they pay for anything.