A New VR Challenger Approaches: Hands On With Valve And HTC's Vive

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwiing

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I'm glad lots of competition is sprouting up in this generation of VR. Hopefully it'll be here to stay this time around.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I keep hearing new VR, but nothing ready for us consumers (Oculus, Avegant Glyph, Morpheus, Razer VR, and now this). I wonder how long this project has been running. Oculus should have come out a long time ago, they are taking years and it seems like all these other companies are trying get their piece of the pie. I think Oculus will find some very stiff competion and Facebook may have wasted their money, IF they don't have THE BEST VR experience.

Oldbutstillatit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Saying FaceBook may have wasted their money is pretty a shallow statement. They have the all star cast and pockets so deep Jesus calls them to borrow cabbage. Don't count Oculus out just yet, you never know what they have up their sleeve :D

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
It's just so exciting, I can't wait to experience one of these sets or similar. TAKE MY MONEY and give me one of these things!

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I keep hearing new VR, but nothing ready for us consumers (Oculus, Avegant Glyph, Morpheus, Razer VR, and now this). I wonder how long this project has been running. Oculus should have come out a long time ago, they are taking years and it seems like all these other companies are trying get their piece of the pie. I think Oculus will find some very stiff competion and Facebook may have wasted their money, IF they don't have THE BEST VR experience.

I sort of get the feeling that's why Valve decided on this. "Them Oculus guys are sure taking a long time getting their stuff ready.... What if we....?". A bit of a shocker maybe, Valve being fast to react and finish something.... :)

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
I love Valve and I hate Facebook. I hope Facebook gets CRUSHED in every way possible and loses all of their investors money until they have nothing to offer except to sell their users data to third party companies.

Skoonj

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
I don't know enough about the topic or the players to make any snarky comments. I am curious, though, about progress in the VR world.

What was described in the article was a pretty good indication of what is possible short term. How long, though, will it be before VR displays are available for air combat gaming? I played Falcon 4.0 some time ago. Since I had just one screen, I always knew there was a lot I couldn't see, and that was frustrating. Even if I could add a second screen, it still wasn't as good as I hoped, simply because of the limited field of view.

So how long before VR can allow all-around vision for such games? The pace of the action would be far greater than what is described in the article. Are we talking months? Years? Decades? Are we talking reasonable prices, or only for the seriously well off? This is something I can't figure out from this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS