A newb desperate for help on building a new comp!

MegaCharger

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
Yeah... it's me again :( I just went to the local comp store and the guy said "WTF you want P4 3.0Ghz(800Mhz FSB) and Radeon 9800 Pro in your PC!? That's gonna cost you 3000+ man!" I was like, what the f**k!? I can get all the parts for under 2000 online... Anyways, after that I decided to screw computer stores and, I might as well just try to build it myself. That being said, I'm a complete newb when it comes to PC building, so if anybody have any advice for me it's welcome! I plan to get the following, after May 11, that's when Intel will lower the chip prices:

-Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz 800Mhz FSB and HT
-Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
-Gigabyte 8KNXP(non ultra) or the Asus P4C800 motherboard
-Corsaid XML DDR400 512MB x 2, I'm not sure what model to get yet because I'm completely thrown off by the number of models they have...
-WD ATA/100 120GB special edition
-Antec PLUS1080AMG case that comes with TruePower 430W
-SB Audigy 2
-LiteOn 16X DVD Drive and 48x24x48 CD-RW

I have my old speaker and monitor and DSL modem, maybe I should get a new ethernet card as well. Did I miss anything? Do you think I can really get all of those for under $2000? I am going to order the parts through newegg, so far almost everyone I've met say I should get it from them. But my parents are VERY paranoid about me using their credit card online, so I want to make absolutely sure they are not going to pull some BS on me... Should I trust them?

Oh yeah to the experienced people here who feel like helping me out, can you direct me to any link or tell me in depth on how to build my own PC step by step? Thanks!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Tell your parents to check out resellerratings.com. They'll see that newegg.com is very well respected. Also, by using a credit card you have fraud protection. If something goes wrong your credit card will eat it, possibly minus $50. I've spent thousands online at newegg as recently as a few days ago and never had a problem.

As for building a PC, check out the how to guides on here to start. Do you have any friends with experience?

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>

MegaCharger

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
Well I know a guy who is experienced in this stuff. I was going to ask him to build it for me and pay him some $. But then I feel bad... I mean, I'm 18 and going to a tech college soon(although comp graphics only...), I would feel bad if I can't even build my own PC. Like, the most complicated thing for me for now would be the BIOS and whatever the heck related to the motherboard, and connecting the cables(hope the instruction manuals would help). Other than that the rest are easy, I know that. My friends have been saying PC is like an adult Lego, so I'm VERY hellbent on building my own and prove it to my friends that I can do what they can!

While I'm at it, do you think the 3 fans that comes with the Antec case is enough for my set up? Or should I get 2 more fans and mount them on the front slots to act as exhaust fan?

dhlucke

Polypheme
Start with those fans. Odds are it'll be fine. If anything only use 2. Keep in mind that you don't need the PC to run at 30C. Even if it's at 55C as long as it's stable the temps are fine. Don't add any noise if you don't have to. If you want to overclock right away then you should get more fans.

Don't feel bad. If you want to watch someone else build it for the first time go ahead. By the time you go to build your second and 99th PC you'll be fine to do it on your own. If you read the instructions though, the guides, and ask questions here you'll be fine as well. I don't know how it is for the new P4's, but with AMD CPUs it can be nerve racking to install the HSF. I watched a local tech do it for me on the first computer and then have been able to do it ever since. Since then though the instructions have gotten pretty good and I doubt I would have had to do it back then if I had the full color instructions that come with the retail CPUs. I bought OEM the first time so I didn't get an instruction manual.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
when i was getting a computer for school, my friend asked me if i was interested in building one. i said yeah sure, and did a bunch of research, bought my parts, and he just sort of watched over me. it worked really well, i could put it together myself and make sure i wasn't making some huge blunder
i suggest you do the same - YOU put all the parts together, just have him watch you, or have him there if you have questions. it's more fun that way =)
(don't hand over all of the parts and come back to his house a few hours later to pick up the comp)

<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=120&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide</A>
<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=145&dPage=1" target="_new">WinXP tweak guide 2</A>

New Egg I bought the same case that you are going to buy from them. No problems using credit card. Also you can delete card numbers after you make purchase. So that way they will not have your card on line.

dhlucke

Polypheme
An OEM CPU doens't come with the manuals or the HSF (heat sink and fan). It just comes with the CPU.

An OEM harddrive is just the hard drive. It doesn't come with a cable, manual, or utility disk. The utilities can probably be downloaded online but I've never needed them and your motherboard should come with the cable if memory serves me right.

Same thing applies to a graphics card. OEM will pretty much just be the card and sometimes the cables (but not neccessarely every cable). It won't have bundled games (they usually suck) or the driver disk most likely.

An OEM sound card will usually just be the sound card. I've gotten a copy of the driver disk with a card once though.

OEM is usually fine for everything EXCEPT the CPU the first time you build a computer. After that you can decide if you want retail or OEM. You might want a heftier or ultra quiet HSF next time for example.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Another important thing to note with OEM is the difference in warranties. On a CPU the retail is 3 years and the OEM is generally only a couple weeks or whatever the vendor provides.

On a hard drive I don't think it makes a difference though. Most drives have 1 year with some of the 8MB cache drives getting 3 years. Your JB drive, special edition, will have 3 years not matter if it's retail or OEM.

wurrmm

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
IMO the Gigabyte is the better choice due to better mobo layout, CSA, DPS, and those pretty colors.

Here is the system I am building when all the stuff gets released.

Gigabyte 8KNXP non-ultra $220

Intel 2.8GHZ w/HT +/-$350 (likely to be >$300 next month)

Corsair TwinX1024 PC3200LLPT (2x512mb DDR400 low latency) $299 at www.newegg.com

Western Digital WD1800JB 180GB 8mb cache $186 at www.newegg.com

Antec SX1000II case and TrueBLue 480 PSU $138.68 at www.provantage.com

Round cables, HSF, Case Fans, Thermal Grease $146.89 at www.newegg.com

Plextor PlexWriter 48x24x48 $74.99 after rebate at www.amazon.com

mobo has built in 6 channel audio and lan that is good enough for most. As you may notice there is not VGA card. I plan on getting one later.

All of this only cost: $1415.56 give or take some.
If I cut the mem to 512MB which is all I really really need, go down to a 120GB model hard drive and if the CPU goes down to $278 like the price at mikes hardware shows (don't know how accurate that is), then that is $257 that I can save. At $1158.56, it is not tooo bad. that $257 can go toward a nice VGA card also.

One mans throw-away is another mans god-box. Help friends in need, I always do!!
Then again, having extra parts are great for making dedicated servers for LAN parties!!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Wurrmm on 04/18/03 00:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Just curious why you aren't going with 2 smaller WD HD's so that you can RAID 0 them together for faster speed.

I think I'm right on that... I'm a little new to this RAID 0 stripping crap. ;)

AMD_me

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
IF you have the vaunted "$9 multimedia speaker" You seriously need to upgrade to something 4.1 or better or you might as well get a SoundBlaster 128 because you wont hear any better.

eBay, kick ass!

My 3DMark2001 Score: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6288493" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6288493</A>
-
I bought from Best Buy once. Once.

MegaCharger

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2003
I think the ultra comes with some SCSI Ultra 320 controller or whatever. The non-ultra comes with onboard firewire and 2 more SATA connector. The ultra is also $100+ more expensive. I'm getting the non-ultra because the professors said firewire will make my life that much easier :) I've considered the Asus canterwood board but I'm planning to get the Corsair Twin3200 and they are having major headache with that, so screw it I'm going with Gigabyte. Oh yeah on a side note does anybody know where I can get firewire harddrives? I can't find them on newegg :(

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Here's a place that's got a few, although ypu'll likely find lower prices elsewhere <A HREF="http://www.dealsdirect.com/catalog/mall.cfm?CATEGORY=48" target="_new">http://www.dealsdirect.com/catalog/mall.cfm?CATEGORY=48</A>

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Newegg apparently has only one model. Here it is: <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?catalog=14&DEPA=1&submit=property&mfrcode=0&propertycodevalue=3338" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?catalog=14&DEPA=1&submit=property&mfrcode=0&propertycodevalue=3338</A>. You can also get the enclosures which will allow you to put any hard drive inside <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=firewire+hard+drive" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=firewire+hard+drive</A>

But seriously if you want external the SATA is better. If you want compatibility with multiple PC's then USB2 is the way to go. If you instructor told you you need and external firewire hard dirve then I think I would go with one of the enclosures. That way you can swap out whatever hard drive you want.

Edit: That second link shows a second external hard drive as well. If you're doing with an enclosure then make sure it supports 3.5 inch disks. My personal recommendation would be the one that's going for $68.99, as it has both firewire and USB2, and it looks sturdier than the cheeper plastic model above it.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by knowan on 04/20/03 01:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I'm leaning towards Gigabyte Mobo. But I'm waiting till May June time frame to make sure all the bugs are worked out. Have not decided which CPU to go with. May go with 2.4b Than wait till next year to upgrade with Prescott.

Joomy

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2003
You guys should check out Google Gear (www.googlegear.com) they're generally cheaper (for memory and CPU anyway) than Newegg, and they have free shipping. When I build my new comp, I'll prolly get CPU and RAM from there.