A pair or 980ti in sli SUDDENLY started to fps drop

AJRocks

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
Hello, This is my first post!

I have got me a Christmas present: a pair of Asus GTX 980 ti Matrix Platinum Cards.
They were running perfectly in SLI for the past Month.
Then SUDDENLY one day last week they started to FPS drop ie my games started to stutter regularly. Eg Battlefront Starwars drops FPS to 20ish for a second or two and does it regularly!

When I checked the graphs I noticed that the Powerlimit and GPU usage drop simultaneously (spike downwards) when FPS drop occurs.

FPS drop stops when SLI is off.

System specs:

i7 5930K overclocked to 4.2Ghz (before FPS drop it was OC to 4.6Ghz)
32 GB 2666ghz Dominators Platinums DDR4
AX860 PSU By Corsair
2x Asus GTX 980ti Matrix Platinum
Samsung 500gb 850Evo
WD black 1TB
Corsair H110i GT
Asus X99 PRO 3.1 mobo

I am thinking it might be the power supply struggling BUT it was running PERFECTLY for the past month or so.
I did NOT overclock my GPUs.
My drivers are up to date.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and help.

Regards and Merry Christmas!

Solution
You are pushing it with that PSU. The minimum for an SLI GTX 980 Ti set up is 900 watts. Plus you are already overclocking your system so that will draw more juice. I am running a 1000 watt PSU gold rated and that seems to be holding up. Also the heat these things puts out is intense. Make sure all your cooling fans are free of dust.
What is the utilization of the CPU during game-play when the FPS drop occurs? You can check it with task manager or any of the usual tools. What is the CPU temperature during game-play when the FPS drop occurs? You can check it with HWMonitor. I'm curious if the excess heat from the two cards is causing your CPU to throttle.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
You are pushing it with that PSU. The minimum for an SLI GTX 980 Ti set up is 900 watts. Plus you are already overclocking your system so that will draw more juice. I am running a 1000 watt PSU gold rated and that seems to be holding up. Also the heat these things puts out is intense. Make sure all your cooling fans are free of dust.

Solution