Question A part of laptop gets heated even when Laptop is switched off?

Anandspark

Honorable
Oct 10, 2014
Model-Acer nitro-5 AN515-42
Cpu- AMD Ryzen 5 2500u
Ram- 8GB
Gpu- RX 560x
A part of my laptop gets heated even when the laptop is switched off.The bigger problem is that the battery gets drained.In around 6 hours battery goes from 100% to 60 %.I have been experiencing this problem since 2 days.
View: https://imgur.com/a/IRc4BPi

The part of the chip where AMD is written that part is hot.It remains hot even when my laptop is switched off. I did add an m.2 ssd 2 months ago but i do not think it is causing any problem. Both the usb ports work fine.Please suggest me any possible soutions

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that the computer gets hots because there is an electrical short somewhere and the current keeps flowing which 1) causes the heat up and 2) drains the battery.

In your photo it appears that the inside of the computer is rather dusty - e.g., the fans in the background.

Has the laptop ever been opened up and cleaned using compressed air? At the same time all of the components should be checked to ensure that everything is fully seated or fully and firmly connected as applicable.

Use a bright light and magnifying glass to look for some metal to metal contact between the separate components in the area of the heat up.

Reactions: Anandspark

Anandspark

Honorable
Oct 10, 2014
My thought is that the computer gets hots because there is an electrical short somewhere and the current keeps flowing which 1) causes the heat up and 2) drains the battery.

In your photo it appears that the inside of the computer is rather dusty - e.g., the fans in the background.

Has the laptop ever been opened up and cleaned using compressed air? At the same time all of the components should be checked to ensure that everything is fully seated or fully and firmly connected as applicable.

Use a bright light and magnifying glass to look for some metal to metal contact between the separate components in the area of the heat up.

I have never cleaned the laptop.Only that piece of chip gets hot rest everything is fine.I did not find any metal contacts.

Ralston18

Titan
USB ports - correct?

What has been plugged into them?

Some initial problem may have caused some failure within the port(s) and supporting PCB (Printed Circuit Board).

If that chip is the one place/component getting hot then is likely that a replacement is needed.

PCB appears to be almost two years old.

Use the information printed on the PCB to find a replacement - appears (because you already have gotten it out) that installing a replacement PCB should be straightforward.

And do clean the system - otherwise the cooling may be impaired and a "hot spot" may be created and something else could fail.

Reactions: Anandspark