[SOLVED] A PCIe slot set itself on fire due to water damage. How do I recover?

DumbCowGoMoo

Reputable
May 23, 2016
i've posted this on reddit but they don't seem to really know (or my post got buried) but the PCIe lane holding the graphics card of my 980ti on my gigabyte gaming g1 z170x set on fire because of a leak in my cooling system that I unfortunately fatally overlooked. It set itself on fire (the back few pins of the PCIe lane, the tiny nub part closer to the case) and it looks like none of the surrounding capacitors exploded but there is the faint smell of the magic blue smoke. The problem is I know I need to get a new board in all likelihood (however finding z170 boards that aren't as expensive as replacing the whole combo is a pain) but I don't know how to go about replacing the other components or testing if they work. I have no known goods except a dubious pair of RAM, how would I go about testing if my CPU, GPU, PSU, etc are fried. As far as I could tell my mobo still can receive power if I jump the PSU, however obviously that might not be a bright workaround. Mainly I just need to check GPU and CPU, because if the CPU is broken I'm better off with getting a new mobo+cpu, and if the GPU broke I might find a combo for that. Thanks to anyone that can help!

Solution
Full system hardware specs and OS?

About all you can do is to test the CPU, GPU, and RAM in other known working motherboards that support the component you wish to test.

You cannot "work around" a PSU. The jump test you mention, if I understand your post correctly, is just a very basic test.

I would not expect that the PSU was damaged. Likely okay but no way to be certain.

PSUs can be tested but the testing requires a multimeter and someone (you, family, friend) who knows how to use it.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load.

Ralston18

Titan
Full system hardware specs and OS?

About all you can do is to test the CPU, GPU, and RAM in other known working motherboards that support the component you wish to test.

You cannot "work around" a PSU. The jump test you mention, if I understand your post correctly, is just a very basic test.

I would not expect that the PSU was damaged. Likely okay but no way to be certain.

PSUs can be tested but the testing requires a multimeter and someone (you, family, friend) who knows how to use it.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load.

Solution