A Pentium III Autopsy Using an Electron Microscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
This is interesting, but seeing a CPU being sawed... it somehow tortures me from the inside.

A 250 nm Pentium III processor may not be the most interesting piece of hardware anymore

Cool story. I've been looking for one of those for 2 years by now to stuff into my old PC instead of a Celeron... just for the hell of it. Can't get them in the store, no one has one to give away and don't want to deal with ebay. Out of luck, I guess.

250nm? That is incorrect once again people these days need to do their proper research. That is the Coppermine version and is 180nm not 250nm that is the older Katmai that has the external l2 cache. Kamai was only slot one while the Coppermine version can in socket 370 and slot one, the one in pic is the socket 370 version. The last was the Tualatin 130nm series and often had an advantage over most early p4 Willamette cpu-s.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation]just for the hell of it. Can't get them in the store, no one has one to give away and don't want to deal with ebay. Out of luck, I guess.[/citation]

So you'd pay an insane premium at a store for Pentium III, but not deal with eBay?

LMFAO

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]This is interesting, but seeing a CPU being sawed... it somehow tortures me from the inside.Cool story. I've been looking for one of those for 2 years by now to stuff into my old PC instead of a Celeron... just for the hell of it. Can't get them in the store, no one has one to give away and don't want to deal with ebay. Out of luck, I guess.[/citation]
we have them also:) all the way back to the original Pentium chips

www.atrecycle.com

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]mrmotion[/nom]just junked a pII about a month ago. Still worked, used to play Wolfenstien and Commander Keen on it.[/citation]

Commander Keen was a GREAT game.

[citation][nom]BSMonitor[/nom]So you'd pay an insane premium at a store for Pentium III, but not deal with eBay? LMFAO[/citation]

Of course not. Some stores can be reasonable on old tech.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]Can't you view something that is 2um in size with an optical microscope pretty easily? What was the electron microscope for?[/citation]

I'm pretty sure you can't. There is a limit with optical microscopes, one being that normal light's own wavelength is much wider than that.

Intel had to deal with this when it was trying to shrink CPUs even smaller. They were wanting to etch smaller than typical visible light wavelengths. So they moved to UV, extreme UV... which have smaller wavelengths and thus a better resolution, all to get it smaller and smaller.

You havent been looking in the right places!!! I have a Coppermine (180 nm) 850MHz pc100/133 among my old stuff.. it's in perfect working order but I guess you want the 250nm 450mhz? Well those are still around in latinamerica at cheap prices... http://computacion.mercadolibre.com.ar/procesadores-pentium-iii/ Language barrier? click on google translate. I'm sure you could work something out with the seller and probably in english.. most people browsing the net these days understand some english and can communicate with you by any means if they have to...

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom]I'm pretty sure you can't. There is a limit with optical microscopes, one being that normal light's own wavelength is much wider than that. Intel had to deal with this when it was trying to shrink CPUs even smaller. They were wanting to etch smaller than typical visible light wavelengths. So they moved to UV, extreme UV... which have smaller wavelengths and thus a better resolution, all to get it smaller and smaller.[/citation]

I only asked because I work in optical probes, which typically have worse optics than that of a scientific microscope, and we have meaningful resolution down to a micron. Electron microscopes can view structures more on the order of pm, right?

Nnymrod

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
I'm sure alot of people in the US have older CPUs laying around... I have a Pentium II, Pentium III, and an AMD K6-500. Also try looking at old junked school computers or other small low budget businesses.

Martell77

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I still have the Intel 486 DX2 66mhz chip from my first computer. I'll never forget the specs 486-66 (8mhz without Turbo!), 512kb Paradise Western Digital Video Card, 256mb hard drive, 8mb ram, Sound Blaster 8-bit, and Windows of Workgroups 3.1 on top of DOS 6.22.

I remember having to uninstall my Moms Wordperfect and Print Shop so I could fit my MechWarrior 2 game on it (took 110mb). That really used to tick her off, lol.

Really is interesting to see part of the evolution like this, they should call me if they want to see inside a 486 chip.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Yes, very cool stuff.

It would be nice if the photos were better though.

I'd actually like to see Tom's do a piece on the manufacturing processes involved with producing chips like this in detail. It is really fascinating stuff.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I bet it was fully functional too, because processors don't fry very often. In fact, it's the motherboard that dies and the platform becoming harder and harder to find, sometimes even extinct.

I still have an Athlon XP 2200+ (1.8 GHz, socket A) bought in 2003 or so, but with no motherboard to use it on. :( Would be perfect for Linux and such... Too bad. Guess I'll keep it as a reminder of my first computer. Also, I think I'll buy 2 more AM3 motherboards, which will probably last me 12+ years from now (given a decent PSU with basic short-circuit protections).

Goro

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]ithurtswhenipee[/nom]I love how clicking on the zoom link provides you with a picture that is about 3% larger.[/citation]

and then you click on the picture again and get an 1024x768 image...just saying :D

[citation][nom]Martell77[/nom]I still have the Intel 486 DX2 66mhz chip from my first computer. I'll never forget the specs 486-66 (8mhz without Turbo!), 512kb Paradise Western Digital Video Card, 256mb hard drive, 8mb ram, Sound Blaster 8-bit, and Windows of Workgroups 3.1 on top of DOS 6.22.I remember having to uninstall my Moms Wordperfect and Print Shop so I could fit my MechWarrior 2 game on it (took 110mb). That really used to tick her off, lol.Really is interesting to see part of the evolution like this, they should call me if they want to see inside a 486 chip.[/citation]

LOL I got that game! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.