Question A person with yet another port forwarding issue

Jul 16, 2023
Yeah I've been here for like an hour now scrolling through port forwarding issue threads and none of them have worked for me so far.

Just for some context I am making a minecraft server and I have the port 25565 open on both and have shut off my firewall

I also have made sure that my IP is public so idk what the issue could be

Actually there it not much to this but lots of people have issues.

#1 and the cause of most people issue who have spent a lot of time to set this up be absolutely sure you really have a public IP.
You can not just use a site like whatmyip you must compare that value with the IP you see inside your router on the wan port.

#2 Use the DMZ option rather than the port forwarding in your router. It is not as secure but it is only to test. Some routers are extremely confusing in how to setup port forwarding.

#3 Make sure the program is actively and using the port you think it is. If you can access the server using the lan IP from another machine in your house that tends to be a good test.

After this it gets very tricky because something is not working the way it seems. You can load wireshark on the server pc and then have one of the port scanning site scan a range of port. You want to use the DMZ option so lots of ports are being forwarded. The scanner will tell you all the ports are blocked but what you hope to see is the scanning messages being captured by wireshark. You can use just the single port you are testing but it can easily get lost in the capture for new users of wireshark.

You could also try to plug the pc directly into the modem if that is a option. Again not a good long term thing but it is purely to eliminate the router as the cause.

Jul 16, 2023
I know it's a public IP because my router ip and my public IP are the same, along with this being the only game I've actually had trouble port forwarding on but that's aside the point.

I would do #2 but I'm not quite sure how to do it or even if I can do it on my router. if you don't mind at least trying to walk me through it and if by plugging it into the router you mean ethernet then I already have it set up so that's probably fine. I'll try to see if it's actually going though the port it says it's going through first though before I do anything drastic

iguanac64

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
First off, do not put your computer on a public IP. Ever. For port forwarding, you want it to be inside your network with something like 192.168.0.10 (or whatever your internal network addressing scheme is). You'll want to make a port forwarding rule in your router that anything your router receives on port 25565 gets forwarded to this internal IP. If you give the make/model of the router, we might be able to find some instructions specifically for that router. I also wouldn't recommend turning off your OS firewall...just create an exception for it.

You can internally test to see if your minecraft server is accessible from another internal computer by typing "telnet 192.168.0.10 25565" from a DOS command prompt (using the IP address example above...substitute for whatever you set it to). If the screen goes blank, then your server is running properly on the internal network (it's answering that port connection request).

If you put your server straight on the Internet, it allows people to connect to it and run scanners to find vulnerabilities which they can use to do whatever they want with it (DDOS attacks, mail relay for spam, using your server as a warez FTP server, a relay for any all sorts of illegal activity, etc). I've seen hackers find vulnerable servers that were set up during the day and compromised by the next morning.

Jul 16, 2023
I did both and it didn't work, also I don't quite understand what you're talking about with the port forwarding rule, could you elaborate a little

Would the command work on my computer ordo I have to get on another one

the model of my modem is a F9K1113 v4 if that helps

Jul 16, 2023
Also like I had said previously, it's worked before for different games, it's just specifically this that's not working for some reason

iguanac64

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

Other games might use miniupnp to set up ports which is an automatic way to do it. If you set up your PC on the Internet it would have probably worked, but it's very unsafe. Also keep in mind that your public IP can change from time to time because ISPs don't want people running servers. If you wanted to set this up long term, you'd need to use a dynamic DNS server like No-IP.com. Dynamic DNS services have a client you run that will update a No-IP DNS server to translate your friendly minecraft servername (ie, "bobsminecraftserver.no-ip.com" to whatever your current public IP address is.

Port forwarding in your router is how your router knows to send inbound traffic from a port to an internal computer. It will route all port 25565 traffic to your internal computer's IP. It's safer because only that port (25565) is exposed to the Internet.

If you do that telnet test from the computer you're running the server it's on will tell you if the minecraft server service is running and answering traffic on 25565. It won't tell you if your minecraft server computer is accessable outside of the computer (your firewall could be blocking, but testing on the local machine wouldn't show you). That's why you should test from a computer inside your network that is not the minecraft server. You need to test to see if it's working in steps...

1) Telnet to 192.168.0.10 (or whatever your internal IP is) port 25565 on the server itself to test if the software is running and answering 25565 requests.
2) Telnet to 192.168.0.10 (or whatever your internal IP is) port 25565 from another internal computer to test that your minecraft server is available outside of the server.
3) Telnet to (public IP address) port 25565 from a computer on the Internet to verify your port forwarding is working.

Yeah I've been here for like an hour now scrolling through port forwarding issue threads and none of them have worked for me so far.

Just for some context I am making a minecraft server and I have the port 25565 open on both and have shut off my firewall

I also have made sure that my IP is public so idk what the issue could be

Try a different port other than the default port to ensure your ISP is not blocking it. You can change the port in the server properties file.

Turn off IPv6 on your router to ensure all traffic is IPv4. Your router might be passing an ipv6 address to your minecraft server and the software is unable to handle it the connection.