a pure sine wave UPS for RM-850

MAK 786

Reputable
May 25, 2014
Hi friends,
I need a pure sine wave UPS for my pc as there would be blackouts next month.So can you recommend me a good and not so costly one as i had heard that pure sine waves are pretty expensive.Anyways here are my specs:
PSU:Corsair rm-850 (850 watts)
GPU:Zotac gtx 770
CPU:Intel i7-4770 k
mobo:Asus z97 pro wifi ac.
I need it for around 10-20 mins.

Solution
Not that I know of that is accurate. Every electronic device will have it's rating on it, and with a few assumptions you should be able to calculate it fairly quickly.

Powersupply is 850W, this is its maximum output not what you are actually using.

i7-4770k rated at 84W @ 12V, overclocking can take it as high as 150W
GTX770 ~230W @ 12V

PcPartPicker puts your system total around 500W so that can be assumed as an average. If you are overclocking add another 100W. ~600W

Your modem power supply will have a rating on it, use that.

Your monitor will have its power consumption on the rear label.

Assume another 50W for mouse/keyboard/headphones or speakers. If you have a sound system, you probably don't want that backed up.

Add it all...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Your computer is already running off of a rectified AC source, so even the DC you are getting isn't perfect.

A UPS will have an inverter in it to convert DC (the battery) back into AC. This is done through a boost converter and then DC chopping to approximate a sign wave. Not sure there is such a thing as a pure sine wave supply other then a something with an actual generator, which is also an option.

Here is a short duration UPS that should be within your power requirements. You might need to go bigger if you want to run all of your peripherals (like the monitor). If you are worried about internet downloads or something you will also need your modem on this circuit.

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Back-UPS-Uninterruptible-Supply/dp/B0038ZTZ3W/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1409852591&sr=1-8&keywords=ups+battery+backup

Oh, actually found what you were talking about. The above supply will not work with certain Active PFC supplies because the DC chopping is too rough for it to detect an AC signal.

Look into APCs SMT line of products, and you were right the price tag isn't very appealing.

http://www.amazon.com/APC-Smart-UPS-SMT1000-1000VA-System/dp/B002MZUNXU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409853459&sr=1-1&keywords=ups+battery+backup+smt1000

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You would need to measure or calculate the total draw of all the devices you want to be protected. As long as it is under the total output of the UPS it will work. The more you add the shorter the duration it will last without power, again this varies with the size of the batteries.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not that I know of that is accurate. Every electronic device will have it's rating on it, and with a few assumptions you should be able to calculate it fairly quickly.

Powersupply is 850W, this is its maximum output not what you are actually using.

i7-4770k rated at 84W @ 12V, overclocking can take it as high as 150W
GTX770 ~230W @ 12V

PcPartPicker puts your system total around 500W so that can be assumed as an average. If you are overclocking add another 100W. ~600W

Your modem power supply will have a rating on it, use that.

Your monitor will have its power consumption on the rear label.

Assume another 50W for mouse/keyboard/headphones or speakers. If you have a sound system, you probably don't want that backed up.

Add it all up and look at the ratings on the available UPS. If your system draws 800W total, and a 1000W output supply would be recommended. The battery should be able to deliver at least 500W/Hrs so that you can last about 30 minutes. Or pick one that gives you approximately the time you want it to work. Keep in mind that the batteries do not recharge instantly, so multiple blackouts in rapid succession will probably take you down.

Solution
There are ABSOLUTELY pure sine wave units, and MANY power supplies not only prefer them but require them, if you don't want problems.

Yes, I realize this thread is six years old, but somebody referenced it, so I felt the need to update and correct the information in it.

Many modern power supplies will not work properly with stepped, simulated or adaptive sinewave UPS backup systems. It is best to do your due diligence and check to verify for sure one way or the other.