Question A question about if my gpu is properly placed on MB

red00

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
Hello. Just needed your help to figure out something.
This is my system:
CPU: I7 4790K
GPU: AMD RX 480 OC (Bios upgraded to RX 580)
Motherboard: Asus B85 PLUS
16 gb of RAM.
1TB of HDD

zrSYoU0.jpg

When I first bought the system the person who assembled it for me put it in the PCIe 3.0 socket number 1 (in the photo)
A couple of years later, after some cleaning I removed it, and i accidentally broke that jack next to it (the one that helps to push the gpu out.) and because i was afraid it wouldn't get placed properly in that socket, i put it in socket number 2.
In the past few years, I have had trouble running most of games. gpu seems to be working weaker in general and i get lower fps. I have lots of crashes specially in games made by Unreal Engine 4, and in AMD's adrenaline software, it labels most of games performances as "Marginal".
I recently installed GPUZ software.
This is what it shows:

DE5gTve.png
ggSnUbH.png

So my first question is that ... did I by changing the gpu's socket from the number 1 (yellow one) to the second (black one) do something wrong?
and second question is that, do you see any noticeable problem in the info GPUZ showing? specially where it says:
"The graphic card reports that it supports: PCI-Express x16 3.0
It is currently running at: PCI-Express x4 2.0"
or any other problem?
do you think my gpu is placed improperly in its socket?

Thank you so much.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello. Just needed your help to figure out something.
This is my system:
CPU: I7 4790K
GPU: AMD RX 480 OC (Bios upgraded to RX 580)
Motherboard: Asus B85 PLUS
16 gb of RAM.
1TB of HDD

zrSYoU0.jpg

When I first bought the system the person who assembled it for me put it in the PCIe 3.0 socket number 1 (in the photo)
A couple of years later, after some cleaning I removed it, and i accidentally broke that jack next to it (the one that helps to push the gpu out.) and because i was afraid it wouldn't get placed properly in that socket, i put it in socket number 2.
In the past few years, I have had trouble running most of games. gpu seems to be working weaker in general and i get lower fps. I have lots of crashes specially in games made by Unreal Engine 4, and in AMD's adrenaline software, it labels most of games performances as "Marginal".
I recently installed GPUZ software.
This is what it shows:

DE5gTve.png
ggSnUbH.png

So my first question is that ... did I by changing the gpu's socket from the number 1 (yellow one) to the second (black one) do something wrong?
and second question is that, do you see any noticeable problem in the info GPUZ showing? specially where it says:
"The graphic card reports that it supports: PCI-Express x16 3.0
It is currently running at: PCI-Express x4 2.0"
or any other problem?
do you think my gpu is placed improperly in its socket?

Thank you so much.
Should be top slot the 2nd slot is 2.0 X4

Reactions: red00

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
^So you mean I did the wrong thing? and those 2 sockets receive and deliver different amount of data from gpu and I should put it back in the yellow one?
The 2nd slot has a lower speed.
If you are saying you broke the locking latch that is not to bad.
I would still use that slot the screws that go into the card and case should hold it as long as you don't bump the PC around to much.

Reactions: red00

red00

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
The 2nd slot has a lower speed.
If you are saying you broke the locking latch that is not to bad.
I would still use that slot the screws that go into the card and case should hold it as long as you don't bump the PC around to much.

Oh so that black socket definitely is having an impact on the low performance i'm getting from my card huh?
Yeah you are right. it's not unusable. i just switched to the black one because I thought "why not using the intact one?". I had no idea they are not the same!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Oh so that black socket definitely is having an impact on the low performance i'm getting from my card huh?
Yeah you are right. it's not unusable. i just switched to the black one because I thought "why not using the intact one?". I had no idea they are not the same!
Expansion Slots
PCI Express 3.0 x161 x PCI Express 3.0 x16
PCI Express 2.0 x161(running at x4)
PCI Express x12 x PCI Express x1
PCI Slots3 x PCI Slots

red00

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
Thank you guys for your all replies!
What a fool I was!
Switching it back to the first socket solved all my problems!!!
I can't believe I put myself in so much misery with my own hands!
THANKS A LOT!!!

Reactions: Rokinamerica