[SOLVED] A question about MSI afterburner and acceptable temperatures for CPUs,GPUs and does CPU temp = GPU temp in my case?

Nov 7, 2020
So I have an HP laptop with AMD's Ryzen 5 2500U, Vega 8 Mobile graphics, 8GB of RAM.

I'm aware that laptops are not best suited for gaming because of their heating problems and lack of upgradable components. Also I'm aware I can buy cooling pads but let's say I cannot get one now or in nearer future.

When I'm playing games I take my laptop upstairs where the temperature goes as low as 7C because one window is missing so pretty much outside temperature is the inside temperature.
When I'm playing games, my laptop's GPU temperatures reach somewhere around 66-75ish C.
I googled around and according to amd.com (Picture 1, AMD.com) maximum temperature is 95c.
Am I running any risk of damaging my components by playing games at those temperatures, since they're not reaching the maximum?
Also a question about MSI Afterburner which is what I use to check my temperatures while playing. I was able to find an option to show my GPU temperature in-game but I couldn't find a CPU temperature show in-game. Is it because my GPU is mobile so it's on my CPU meaning that GPU temperature = CPU temperature?
(Picture 2)
When I scroll down I can only see CPU1-8 clocks and CPU 1-8 usage.

And just to not waste your time, I did clean out my PC a month ago, and I make sure my pc elevated few extra centimeters off of the marble table that I'm playing at.

My apologies if this isn't posted in the right board since it's kind off all components question since temperature affect everything inside.

Solution
Sorry for the slow response

No, you happened to misread, what I can get to show is my Graphical Processing Unit temperature not CPU.
So my GPU temperature is what I can get to show, not my CPU. So I see my GPU temperature but I don't see my CPU temperature.

Ah I see, my bad

I confused myself a bit so I'll try to take a second crack at this

When I'm playing games, my laptop's GPU temperatures reach somewhere around 66-75ish C.
I googled around and according to amd.com (Picture 1, AMD.com) maximum temperature is 95c.
Am I running any risk of damaging my components by playing games at those temperatures, since they're not reaching the maximum?

The max temp in that picture doesn't specify whether that's the...

Furzumz

Reputable
Your CPU is what has the vega 8 mobile graphics, it's a processor and GPU in one

As far as how it reports the temperature for the GPU and CPU respectively I'm not sure...it might not even have a separate temperature specifically for the GPU, or it might just report it as part of the processors temperature. I can't seem to find much online to check integrated graphics outside of some people having some luck with GPU-Z, could be worth a shot checking out that program to see

But I would imagine as long as your CPU temperature is showing up as okay then your integrated GPU is likely fine as well.

Temperature wise 75c is fine. Maybe a tad on the warm side but that's going off of desktop processor standards, laptop processors usually run warmer as is expected.

I would only be concerned if you find your processor regularly running in the high 80's for extended periods of time.

The big thing with the temperatures is the higher the heat the more its lifespan may be reduced. A processor running at ~90c regularly is probably not gonna last as long as a processor running at ~70c . But 75c under load sounds fine.

Nov 7, 2020
But I would imagine as long as your CPU temperature is showing up as okay then your integrated GPU is likely fine as well.

No, you happened to misread, what I can get to show is my Graphical Processing Unit temperature not CPU.
So my GPU temperature is what I can get to show, not my CPU. So I see my GPU temperature but I don't see my CPU temperature.

The big thing with the temperatures is the higher the heat the more its lifespan may be reduced. A processor running at ~90c regularly is probably not gonna last as long as a processor running at ~70c . But 75c under load sounds fine.

Also, how much reduction life span are we talking about here? Can you give me some numbers?

Thanks a lot for your time, I learned something new today!

Furzumz

Reputable

Ah I see, my bad

The max temp in that picture doesn't specify whether that's the max temp for the CPU or if its for the integrated GPU or both. Come to think of it I haven't seen a CPU with integrated graphics that's listed the GPU's max operating temperature.

Take what I say with a grain of salt on this, and someone else please correct me if I'm wrong - but I'd imagine the integrated GPU has about the same heat tolerance as the rest of the CPU's components considering its all under the same die and they didn't seem to feel the need to specify separate operating temperatures for the CPU and integrated GPU respectively.

In short, I assume the 95c max temperature applies to the integrated GPU as well as the CPU.

And as stated earlier, 75c should be perfectly fine.

Also a question about MSI Afterburner which is what I use to check my temperatures while playing. I was able to find an option to show my GPU temperature in-game but I couldn't find a CPU temperature show in-game. Is it because my GPU is mobile so it's on my CPU meaning that GPU temperature = CPU temperature?

I've never used Afterburner before so I don't think I can comment on this unfortunately, but you can try something like HWmonitor to monitor your CPU temp. It also has a 'max' value indicating the highest temperature your processor has reached while the program has been open so you can let it run in the background while playing games and check it once your done.

If its at a reasonable 'max' temperature then I'd imagine both your CPU and by extension the GPU are fine.

Also, how much reduction life span are we talking about here? Can you give me some numbers?

You'd need a magical crystal ball to accurately predict such things but generally speaking processors that are given adequate cooling usually live long enough to become obsolete, and even beyond. When I say obsolete I mean roughly 10+ years, if not longer.

Running your CPU hot may reduce its lifespan. By how much is impossible to say, magical crystal ball and all that. Depends on factors like how hot and how long its been like that. It could reduce the lifespan down by months, could shave 2-4+ years of its lifespan off, impossible to tell really. Depends on a lot of things and even then there's no way to know for exactly certain.

But ~75-80c while doing some gaming? It'll probably outlive its obsoletion period.

Heck, I have a poor tortured Athlon processor that's like ~15 years old that I used the hell out of. It ran very hot because I didn't understand the concept of cleaning the dust out of my computer at the time and it still somehow works to this day. Not that I recommend doing that of course haha

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 7, 2020

Ah I see, my bad

The max temp in that picture doesn't specify whether that's the max temp for the CPU or if its for the integrated GPU or both. Come to think of it I haven't seen a CPU with integrated graphics that's listed the GPU's max operating temperature.

Take what I say with a grain of salt on this, and someone else please correct me if I'm wrong - but I'd imagine the integrated GPU has about the same heat tolerance as the rest of the CPU's components considering its all under the same die and they didn't seem to feel the need to specify separate operating temperatures for the CPU and integrated GPU respectively.

In short, I assume the 95c max temperature applies to the integrated GPU as well as the CPU.

And as stated earlier, 75c should be perfectly fine.

I've never used Afterburner before so I don't think I can comment on this unfortunately, but you can try something like HWmonitor to monitor your CPU temp. It also has a 'max' value indicating the highest temperature your processor has reached while the program has been open so you can let it run in the background while playing games and check it once your done.

If its at a reasonable 'max' temperature then I'd imagine both your CPU and by extension the GPU are fine.

You'd need a magical crystal ball to accurately predict such things but generally speaking processors that are given adequate cooling usually live long enough to become obsolete, and even beyond. When I say obsolete I mean roughly 10+ years, if not longer.

Running your CPU hot may reduce its lifespan. By how much is impossible to say, magical crystal ball and all that. Depends on factors like how hot and how long its been like that. It could reduce the lifespan down by months, could shave 2-4+ years of its lifespan off, impossible to tell really. Depends on a lot of things and even then there's no way to know for exactly certain.

But ~75-80c while doing some gaming? It'll probably outlive its obsoletion period.

Heck, I have a poor tortured Athlon processor that's like ~15 years old that I used the hell out of. It ran very hot because I didn't understand the concept of cleaning the dust out of my computer at the time and it still somehow works to this day. Not that I recommend doing that of course haha

That's good to hear also it started snowing so my room got even colder! Now when playing my temperatures go only up to around 65 celsius which is even better then! Thanks for your time! Now I can safely play on weekends not worrying is it the last time I use my PC!