[SOLVED] A question about RAM' compatibility.

Jan 10, 2021
Hi here's something I'm being confused about. So I have a motherboard (MSI 2a9c) that supports up to 8GB of RAM, while having a total of 4 slots. I somehow learned that the maximum RAM you can install on each slot depends on the number of slots (I can't seem to recall where I learned this from, correct me if I got the wrong info), eg. for my case, each slot can only support up to 2GB. However, my CPU (i3 540) supports only dual channel ram, which by my understanding, the maximum RAM stick I can install is 2. Does that mean my PC can only have a maximum of 4GB RAM instead of 8GB? I have tried installing 1 x 8GB RAM, which results in failure of booting up the PC, so I wanted to know what is the sizes of RAM I should get in order to max out the RAM that my PC can support.

Solution
I can't find specific info on that board. However:

Dual channel does not mean you can only use two slots. It means that of the 4 slots, they are paired into channels (think of these as lanes on a highway).

You do, however, need to make sure that the memory that you buy comes in pairs. These pairs must then be installed correctly in the board. Normally correct installation means in alternating slots (e.g. 1st and 3rd slot or 2nd and 4th)

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020

Dual channel does not mean you can only use two slots. It means that of the 4 slots, they are paired into channels (think of these as lanes on a highway).

You do, however, need to make sure that the memory that you buy comes in pairs. These pairs must then be installed correctly in the board. Normally correct installation means in alternating slots (e.g. 1st and 3rd slot or 2nd and 4th)

Solution
Jan 10, 2021

That said, if I am to have my PC to run at 8GB RAM, I will have to get 4 identical 2GB sticks? Will it be able to run with 2 x 4GB sticks by any chance?