A question about spin up time

AxeFace

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I bought a western digital my book 4tb 3 months ago, i had to take it with my on a 30 hour flight to the other side of the world. Now i put it on my desk, which my brother uses to put stuff and he occasionally moves it without a care no matter how many times i tell him to be careful so i grew afraid i might lose data or have issues with it, test usually say the health is good but i'm worried about the spin up time because its 2 points away from the threshold, i'm not very knowledgeable about this kind of stuff but i can't help to worry about its health because of the data in it, so if anyone can help i would greatly apreciate. Also, does the fact that it goes to sleep mode and takes long to restart affect?

http://imgur.com/m2ujiR2

Here's a screenshot from crystaldisk

Thanks in advance

Solution
AFAIK the threshold number is the limit under which the value shouldn't drop.

So it's an external drive? I wouldn't worry, spin up times can be all over the place on external drives. At one point the power might have fluctuated, the drive took longer to start up and it was written as the worst value. So don't base anything on this value alone unless it drops to 100 or something.

Of course it's always best to backup since a drive can fail at any time regardless.

Sandstorm3000

Honorable
Q: What is "Spin up time"? My disk reports "Spin up time" about 75, is it about to crash?

A: "Spin up time" describes amount of time it took to spin the platters up to their rated rotation speed (usually 5400 or 7200 RPM). Values above 80 should be considered good. Values between 70 and 80 are still acceptable. There is a known issue with Quantum (Maxtor) hard drives - out-of-the-box new drives drop "Spin up time" to 70 within first two weeks of use, causing program to predict failure within a month. This is usually a false alarm. After some initial "burn-in" period "Spin up time" becomes constant and the drive functions normally.

Found this somewhere on google. So your HDD should be fine

AxeFace

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I found that on google too but it doesn't explain anything and i don't even get those values so i wouldn't know if my disk has any issues, the values i get aren't even close to 75, 70 or 80

Sandstorm3000

Honorable

Wait now i see it, i think the number is 200 when it is running 100% optimal. The current number is 195. So thats 2.5% worse than when it would be running 100% optimal. So your drive is is fine.

Sandstorm3000

Honorable

It is over the treshold, but it shouldn't be a problem since your current number is 195. I think that's all what matters.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
AFAIK the threshold number is the limit under which the value shouldn't drop.

So it's an external drive? I wouldn't worry, spin up times can be all over the place on external drives. At one point the power might have fluctuated, the drive took longer to start up and it was written as the worst value. So don't base anything on this value alone unless it drops to 100 or something.

Of course it's always best to backup since a drive can fail at any time regardless.

Solution