[SOLVED] A Question About Update Assistant

qazihashmi74

Honorable
Sep 30, 2018
Hi Guys. I had just got Windows 10 and decided to update it. So, I got the Update Assistant since I find it more convenient. Although, the Internet speed is extremely slow and it took 8 hours to get to 27%. So I searched if Update Assistant can be paused and stumbled upon this: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ate-from-windows-10-update-assistant.3165790/
And it's the only thread I could find that actually talks about the Update Assistant, though it does not tell if it's pause-able.
Since, the Windows 10 Update Assistant does not have a pause button, I started to locate where the downloaded data is and when I found it I made a copy and decided to just shut down the computer while the update was downloading so the downloaded data stays there hoping that Update Assistant would pick up where it left. When I turned on the computer, I started the Update Assistant and it jumped to 27%(where I left it). So, did it work? Will the final results will be fine or not or is this process safe or not(for the update)?

Solution
"Safe," yes if by safe meaning it's not going to hurt your existing installation. Wise? No.

If you're going to update then plan based on the circumstances you have. If it's a 10-hour process then kick it off before you leave the office for the day or go to bed for the night at home and just let it do its thing. Once you've agreed to the terms it requires no human intervention at all.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Nothing you did as far as copying goes had anything to do with the behavior you saw.

The Update Assistant can and does keep track of "partial downloads" just like many download managers do. It can pick up on it later.

That being said, if you have access to higher speed internet elsewhere, you would be far better off to use the Media Creation Tool (MCT) to fetch the ISO file when you're connected there and then use that to perform the Feature Update. See:

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
"Safe," yes if by safe meaning it's not going to hurt your existing installation. Wise? No.

If you're going to update then plan based on the circumstances you have. If it's a 10-hour process then kick it off before you leave the office for the day or go to bed for the night at home and just let it do its thing. Once you've agreed to the terms it requires no human intervention at all.

Reactions: qazihashmi74
Solution

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
In the final analysis, particularly in the circumstances you've described, I would still suggest you NOT use the Update Assistant.

If one uses the Update Assistant and it gets to the point where it has downloaded the installation media, and then fails for some reason, it does expect you to start from scratch. The same is true of the Media Creation Tool if you tell it to create the bootable USB. I have had several instances, personally, where when using slow DSL downloads the MCT made it all the way to where it was getting ready to create the USB drive when something went wrong. It never picks up again if you start it again at that stage, but always tries to download the install media again.

This is why I tell people to download the ISO and either use it directly, if they're trying to update a running Windows 10 instance, or to use Rufus or similar to create a bootable USB drive if that's needed. At least that way you have "the whole shebang" available for use and you know it before you start anything major with it. It's also nice to have it around if you need it again, or someone you know does. Then they don't have to spend the hours it takes on slow speed internet to download it themselves.

Reactions: qazihashmi74